Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if i`m going nuts here or what but i`m sure i read somewhere that the Electronic parking brake also has auto hold. In other words when you brake to a stand still it should hold for a few seconds while you transfer your foot from the brake to the accelerator. On my Audi while you did this the red (P) on the dash was green to signify Auto hold rather than parking brake, i also would have thought with the EAT6 been a torque converting gearbox that it would hold the car anyway like traditional gear boxes used to. Well mine does neither, when S&S kicks in and my foot is on the brake i get no indication of auto hold, when i take my foot off the brake in the split second it takes the engine to re start the car rolls back then leaps forward when the gearbox realizes whats happening. I never really noticed it before but now i`ve been on longer city runs it really is annoying as it spoils the smooth ride, the only way ive found around it is to apply the parking brake when you stop which wakes the engine from S&S mode then when you set off it pulls away from the brake nice and smooth, but to me this defeats the object of having an electronic parking brake.

Is it me or has anyone else noticed this ?

·
Registered
620 Posts
On the GT I drove on the demonstration, the auto-hold worked but that's stopping and then starting up at a junction at a decent gradient.

On my 1.6D-120 EAT6 allure it did also auto-held initially but now it seems to be less inclined to hold which is disconcerting. I think I commented on this before in the members reviews.

There's no problem with the electric handbrake applied and auto-releasing but not the auto-hold.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mine rolls slightly backwards on a slight incline, its as if the car doesn't realise its on a bit of a slope and doesn't stop it rolling back, when it happens its probably only half a wheel turn backwards. This shouldn't happen. On a proper hill its fine and holds.

·
Administrator
2,911 Posts
My current Golf GTD is like Stuarts ex Audi with the green handbrake light coming on as opposed to red. There's no 2 second only effect and will sit all day on auto hold if needed.

Guess I'll have to get used to the 2 second rule now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My current Qashqai has no problem in holding the car in auto hold and a green symbol of a car on an incline appears. Peugeot refer to this as "Hill start assist" and the user manual describes the operation thus:

"On an ascending slope, with the vehicle stationary, the vehicle is held momentarily when you release the brake pedal:
- provided you are in first gear or neutral with
a manual gearbox,
- provided you are in position D or M with an
automatic gearbox".

Hope I'm not teaching my grandmother but it certainly takes some getting used to and I've found it best to do things gradually and gently releasing the foot brake and clutch, if driving a manual, and waiting for the symbol to appear ensures a smooth getaway.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Two feet - two pedals.
Not a problem.
Left foot braking is the first thing they teach in an advanced driving course.
Saved me at a roundabout once when the driver went....then changed her mind apparently because someone was approaching the roundabout some distance away.
Some seem to think giving way to the right applies at a roundabout rather than to the vehicle ON the roundabout.

Reactions: Jill

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I seriously think this is an issue, if you disable S&S the car is fine and drives like any other Auto. The problem occurs when the engine is off, it is the few seconds from releasing the brake to the engine starting that causes the roll back and slight jolt forward. On my BMW auto which had S&S the engine re started as soon as pressure came off the brake pedal so the engine had already started taking up the torque before your foot was fully released, however with the 3008 the engine only seems to kick in when the pedal is fully released which is causing the issue. Gonna raise this with the dealer but alas i feel we will be stuck with it, just wish there was a button to disable the bloody S&S

:(

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Our 308 is the same system and there is barely 1 second delay of any sort, but I tend to nudge into neutral and use the handbrake and when I reselect D it restarts and engages the drive at which point I release the handbrake with no rollback at all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I`m wondering if it`s a sensor setting that can be adjusted, i tried knocking it into neutral but the thing is as soon as you apply the parking brake the engine re starts which really defeats the object of S&S.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I`m wondering if it`s a sensor setting that can be adjusted, i tried knocking it into neutral but the thing is as soon as you apply the parking brake the engine re starts which really defeats the object of S&S.
Stuart, it's difficult to nail down odd happenings with ss on all cars because there are so many parameters in play, voltage drain from a number of components eg fan, ac, fuel pump, coolant pump (I think it's electric now) lighting etc.
You can't say that the engine WILL stop or if it does, that it will stay stopped for a definitive period.
It's all about the showroom placarded emissions figure.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know Nagaman, but it`s really beginning to spoil my enjoyment of the car now. It`s a pain in the arse having to switch it off through the screen every time. I`m gonna explore the avenue of disabling it through the software, there must be someway of doing it like the canbus system on an Audi/VW

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I'm pretty sure the EPA requires that any system used to claim an emissions figure has to be the default position as a permanent, non avoidable system.
There is no way around it I believe and if you think a ss on an auto is problematic, try a manual for frustration.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Audi had it and i saw no problems with it, i just do not think it suits an auto. Having said that i drove a Skoda with a DSG box and that was fine as the gear does not engage until the gas is pressed, plus like all from the VW group they have auto hold until you move away. My BMW was ok as well,auto hold is what`s missing from the 3008. Take away the s&s and the car works perfect, i think they have missed the boat with the s&s/EAT6 combo tbh

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My Audi had it and i saw no problems with it, i just do not think it suits an auto. Having said that i drove a Skoda with a DSG box and that was fine as the gear does not engage until the gas is pressed, plus like all from the VW group they have auto hold until you move away. My BMW was ok as well,auto hold is what`s missing from the 3008. Take away the s&s and the car works perfect, i think they have missed the boat with the s&s/EAT6 combo tbh
There you go
I don't have a problem with the auto ss but the manual doesn't understand those of us who sometimes 'coast' in neutral because it seems to think you still have your foot on the clutch so you keep having to press the clutch twice.....I guess manual is a bit old world these days though.
Our country is pretty flat also.
Left foot on the brake is a solution perhaps.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I seriously think this is an issue, if you disable S&S the car is fine and drives like any other Auto. The problem occurs when the engine is off, it is the few seconds from releasing the brake to the engine starting that causes the roll back and slight jolt forward. On my BMW auto which had S&S the engine re started as soon as pressure came off the brake pedal so the engine had already started taking up the torque before your foot was fully released, however with the 3008 the engine only seems to kick in when the pedal is fully released which is causing the issue. Gonna raise this with the dealer but alas i feel we will be stuck with it, just wish there was a button to disable the bloody S&S

:(
Is your vehicle 1.2 petrol or 1.6 petrol?, the Start Stop function available only only for 1.2 petrol?:confused: However, I drove 1.2 petrol GT line for testing, and you can engage electric parking brake when you stop in a grade and when you pressed the accelerator pedal it moves forward automatically disengaging parking brake and worked well and I tested with the demo vehicle which I test drive no rolling back even with engine stopped. Tested several time and worked well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the 1.6 petrol which also has S&S same as the 1.2 and yes when you apply the parking brake it does move away. The point is you should not have to apply the parking brake on an auto, it should hold the vehicle on an incline and while the engine is running it does, the issue is with S&S it only rolls back when the engine is off.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have the 1.6 petrol which also has S&S same as the 1.2 and yes when you apply the parking brake it does move away. The point is you should not have to apply the parking brake on an auto, it should hold the vehicle on an incline and while the engine is running it does, the issue is with S&S it only rolls back when the engine is off.
That's surely not meant to be.

·
Registered
765 Posts
What confuses me, is on my 508 with an EAT6, if I stop on a hill I put my foot on the brake. It's an auto, if I don't it will move forward on its own. The 508 doesn't have S+S but if it did and the engine stopped, my foot would still be on the brake. Why are people taking their foot off the brake lol

·
Registered
486 Posts
Agree. But it is common problem with many vehicles having start stop function. because of this in my case I used to use electric parking brakes irrespectively what Vehicle I'm driving to be on safe side. Regret that 3008 has the same issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.