Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 2001 406 16v with AL4 Auto Gearbox has 134k miles on the clock.

The gears seem to change a bit jerkily at times.
The worst when gearing down.

Should I look to change the Gearbox oil?
(I know its quite expensive and a bit of a job to get it done.)

Thanking in advance!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yes; change the oil.

Peugeot say it's sealed for life, but this is a vicious lie.

Worst case scenario: you'll be looking at new solenoids for the valve block.

Draining and re-filling:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R-5RfDjIzVF4JHiWTQtWcchiZf-YNHgx/view?usp=sharing

IIRC there is a second drain plug inside the hole after remove the drain plug.

I think you're supposed to reset the oil wear counter. (The existence of which somewhat contradicts the sealed for life claim.)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Note: That procedure applies to the "Autoadaptive" version of the AL4. It references removing a cap with a special tool, and the quantity of oil changed is 4 litres. It also mentions the oil wear counter and updating it.

Later versions of the AL4 are not described as Autoadaptive, the cap and wear counter are not mentioned, and the quantity of oil changed is 3 litres.

It seems that the Autoadaptive box has the older PRND32 gearshift, whereas the later versions have the PRNDM+- shift. I've deduced that by checking the various editions of the 206 Handbook.

If you are doing the oil change yourself, it would be as well to use the Peugeot Service Box, put your VIN in, and check which procedure it brings up.

Ensure you use only Esso/Mobil LT 71141 fluid.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks IanML!

My PUG's gearbox is the Autoadaptive AL4 with the PRND32 gearshift.

I'm not familiar with Peugeot Service Box?
How do I get to use it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks IanML!

My PUG's gearbox is the Autoadaptive AL4 with the PRND32 gearshift.

I'm not familiar with Peugeot Service Box?
How do I get to use it?

Thanks!
Put your vin , or select manual your car and you will fiind the gearbox repair procedures and technical data ....

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Service Box. Select language bottom right of the screen. Register as an independent garage, then login. For the procedures, you will have to pay-to-view.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much! I seem to have that bit sorted!

I have however been researching a lot concerning changing the fluid on a Auto Transmission box of 100k+ miles and a lot of people say it can damage the box or the clutch could start slipping.

Is this true?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The theory behind "Don't change it" seems to be that small particles of brake material worn of the brake surfaces could be flushed into valves, etc and affect operation. So "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

However, you are having problems which maybe alleviated by fresh oil - perhaps small particles would be removed with the old oil.

I have no experience from which to offer advice, so you will have to decide for yourself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What would be the easiest way to check the condition of the fluid in this AL4 box?
(Colour etc)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Pour half a litre of the correct fluid into the filler. Remove the level checking bung (NOT the outer (drain) bung) and collect the half litre (or so) of fluid which comes out until the drips stop. It should mostly be old fluid.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This may be a silly question but I will be changing the speedo sensor.
Could I just check the ATF colour / condition from there?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone that helped!

I did the gearbox fluid flush / change and my PUG is shifting better now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts