Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I'm planning on changing the oil and filter on my 59 plate 1.4 petrol this weekend and was just wondering about the different spec from same company.
E.g Shell helix ultra AP-L 5w 30 is recommended but can get AF 5w 30 a lot cheaper.Both are fully synthetic so is there any real difference?
It also seems that for example Ford spec engine oil is cheaper for the same 5w 30 type than the Pug equivalent.Any thoughts:confused:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The short answer is yes. Oils are much more sophisticated than just a decade or so ago, not just engine oils but all lubricants.
They have to meet the demands of modern engines squeezing ever more power from smaller engines without increasing fuel consumption.
Engines are made to much closer tolerances than before, and have to meet emission requirements that are much tougher now.
So use an oil that meets the recommended requirements, an extra £20 or £30 doesn't amount to much over five or six thousand miles, how much will you have spent on fuel in that mileage?.
Poor quality lubricants can drastically reduce the life of an engine and turbocharger, as well as egr valves, catalytic converters and particulate filters.

I urge everyone not to go cheap with oil, it might a very expensive way to save a few pounds.

Roger.

·
6,451 Posts
You can use the below link to find some oils have been approved by manufactures for your vehicle. As long as it meets or is a better spec than the car manufactures standards for your engine you will be fine

Opie Oils - Automotive Fluids, Oils, Parts, Tools

Also shop around ECP and others often have Branded oils on offer

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies guys,after a bit more research it looks that like most things in life,cheapest ain't always the best.:thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts