Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am still toying around on which car to buy. Was looking to get a 508 but not sure if i can justify spending £3000+ for the extras i dont need especially when am also looking to but a cheap convertible as a second car.

I've been looking at 407SW 2.0HDi Sport with around 100k on the clock.
Are there any major known faults with these, something i should avoid ?

I'd be looking to do Euro trips.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes get one with the xenon headlights if you are doing euro trips. You can set the dip to the flat beam with the switch in the lights

·
5,040 Posts
100k is nothing on these engines,my 2006 has 145k on and is sweet as a nut. Some on the FB page have 250k+ still going strong. Few known issues,only major one really is dmf,but thats the same on all modern diesels

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What should I be looking out for when going to view the car ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
5,040 Posts
Check everything electrical works as it should, dmf wise, smooth pedal operation with minimal vibration felt through it and no rattles from clutch area. 100k should have cambelt changed,make sure heaters work properly, both temp and direction. Maybe a couple of other things depending on year of vehicle

·
Registered
264 Posts
My 2007 407 has 360,000-380,000k and the engine (1.6hdi) is still going strong. I've had lots of small niggly issues everywhere else though. Sunroof clips, heater flaps, starter, fuel regulator, catches breaking here and there, engine mount, abs sensors, etc..
You'd probably get these kinds of issues with most cars though, but maybe a little more with European, or at least French cars. If you want the least amount of problems possible then probably go Japanese. But it probably depends on how the car has been looked after.
I had an Almera for about 9 years and I think I only serviced it once, and did no other work on it. My 407, on the other hand, I think I've fixed so many things that I know the car inside out by now. That's not to say it hasn't been fun.

I did drive through a salt water flood last year though, so that probably banjaxed a few things.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have a 407 and I like it. It's just comung up to 200k and I'm keeping it. It's now asking for a third DMF.

The 407 is a bit strange/"French" -- it would make more sense badged as a Citroen, whereas the C5 is more "normal".

The quality of the build and materials on the 407 is embarrassing compared to the 508; the 508 is a much more worthy successor to the 406.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the 16hdi worth getting ? It's got good mpg or is it too under powered ?
Is there most different in the spec between sport and SE ?

·
5,040 Posts
Is the 16hdi worth getting ? It's got good mpg or is it too under powered ?
Is there most different in the spec between sport and SE ?

Be wary of the 1.6 if it hasn't been looked after meticulously you could be entering a world of expensive

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My Dad's 2011 C4 GP is the 1600. It's been absolutely flawless since he's had it.
I told him about the potential turbo issue and being on top of oil changes and using the correct grade when he got it.

The only thing it's had spent on it is 4 tyres and the boot micro switch failed.

It's good to drive, very comfy and not as under powered as you might think.

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
I agree the 1.6 is a good engine IF looked after personally i think the 2 litre is best but i can see the benefits of the 1.6 if on a budget but it MUST be serviced regularly.

I have a 2012 mondeo with the later 8 valve 1.6 engine and its done 231k miles and drives good but it does feel under powered sometimes only averages 40 mpg though.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The 1.6 HDi produces less power and torque below 2500rpm than the 2.0 HDi 90 in the 406.

I'd say that the 2.0 140 is probably the sensible option, £30 to tax.

And there's some new fangled 2.0 150 thing that I don't know anything about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts