Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get my head around all this technology! What I have done is to pair Samsung Galaxy s6 with the car on good old Bluetooth and it plays music from the phone, calls etc absolutely fine. What does mirror link android auto etc offer over that? Any help greatly appreciated :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
you get a display of some of the phone content on the main centre screen, so you can select music, podcasts, maps etc without needing to touch your phone.

You can also access siri (or whatever the android one is called) to speak to the phone to give instructions, i.e. what to play, where to go....

Also the unit will read you text messages and allow you to dictate replies.

i have Apple CarPlay - its fantastic - android auto is similar and maybe even a little better as it has access to google maps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jupiter, so it is a step up from just bluetoothing. I've only had car a few days and the options on mirror link etc are greyed out

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes a big step up from bluetoothing.

You need to tether the phone with a USB cable for Android auto to activate, I think it will be greyed out until a compatible phone is attached.

Cant help on differences between mirror link/android auto.. with apple we just have CarPlay option... someone else maybe able to help there

·
Registered
111 Posts
you get a display of some of the phone content on the main centre screen, so you can select music, podcasts, maps etc without needing to touch your phone.

You can also access siri (or whatever the android one is called) to speak to the phone to give instructions, i.e. what to play, where to go....

Also the unit will read you text messages and allow you to dictate replies.

i have Apple CarPlay - its fantastic - android auto is similar and maybe even a little better as it has access to google maps.
I have andorid auto and I use maps quite often...it is very good and helpfull option...hovewer my wife has iPhone and she uses carplay...and she can use navigation as well. When we travel together than I always use andorid auto with gogole maps and spotify.

There is a thread about andorid auto in this forum.

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
I have andorid auto and I use maps quite often...it is very good and helpfull option...hovewer my wife has iPhone and she uses carplay...and she can use navigation as well. When we travel together than I always use andorid auto with gogole maps and spotify.

There is a thread about andorid auto in this forum.
I'm assuming then Google Maps is better then the onboard 3D mapping from TomTom?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm assuming then Google Maps is better then the onboard 3D mapping from TomTom?
Hi Beau.

I didnt order nav with my 3008...I thought google maps will be more than enough for me..and I can comfirm that it is. So I cannot tell you which is better, since I cannot compare. Two things are better with tomtom I guess: 1. you dont have to use USB cable
2. you have the nav option in the iCockpit.

But otherwise google maps works very good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The TOMTOM satnav is excellent.

As pointed out you get the display in the icockpit too with the inbuilt tomtom satnav which is a big bonus over carplay/andrioid options.

I use carplay, so cant comment on google maps, but in comparison to tomtom the apple maps is IMHO not very good, the display is not as good, you do not get speed cameras and the traffic display is not as intuitive. apple also takes too long to re-route you if you go off course.

I am a complete tomtom convert now - cannot praise it enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - I was also not sure about this lot.

Turns out Bluetooth was not quite as good as I thought. I imagined you'd be able to search/browse your media library from the car display, but all you can do is control tracks within the current album/playlist.

With CarPlay, you can see all your Apple Music library, the same as if you were using the device directly. You can also send and receive (spoken, not read) text messages which can be useful from time-to-time.

cheers

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I tried out a mini USB hub in the car today. Android Auto works fine with my Android phone but my iPhone 6 is only seen as an iPod. When I unplug the hub and use only the USB lead for the iPhone, CarPlay is available. Anyone else had any success using a hub with an iPhone?

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can also send and receive (spoken, not read) text messages which can be useful from time-to-time.
I don't know about Apple products, but this is basic Android/Samsung functionality that works fine via Bluetooth. No need for Android Auto to do this. I've used it on my 108 (without AA) for years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can anyone send a picture of where to find this USB that I have to plug into my Andriod phone, so I can get the Andriod Auto or Mirror Link working.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Can anyone send a picture of where to find this USB that I have to plug into my Andriod phone, so I can get the Andriod Auto or Mirror Link working.
No photo but quite simply at the rear of the charging plate, underneath the piano keys, to the left. On the right is a 12v power point. It is really awkward place to have put it.
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This YouTube video (at 1 minute 10) shows a screen as though you can choose from USB or USB2? Not sure?

https://youtu.be/IHZEq7tJ8CI

I read on the French Peugeot Forums yesterday that a newer software version upgrade may have introduced the ability to choose from more than one USB socket. French owners are also dabbling with USB hubs, but other forum members warning about damaging the system with it being overloaded:

Very interesting photos of the very screen with the choice of USB socket 1 or 2 here:

Usb : quelles en sont les limites techniques ? - Page : 8 - Peugeot 3008 (P84 2016/--) - FORUM Forum-Peugeot

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Do you get album art with Apple CarPlay on our cars? When I tried it, it was sort of blurry in the background?

I'm trying to decide whether to do away with my USB stick loaded with 1500 MP3s and move them onto my iPhone and use CarPlay? Only 1 USB socket means Bluetooth connection for the MyPeugeot app is disabled. Does this mean it won't log all my trips anymore?

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you get album art with Apple CarPlay on our cars? When I tried it, it was sort of blurry in the background?
This is how apple have designed carplay to look (not Peugeots design).

It's a bit of a rubbish display as the album art is not nicely displayed, but the interface is simple clear and functional.

It would be good if apple could make it look nicer though....!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just trying to get my head around all this technology! What I have done is to pair Samsung Galaxy s6 with the car on good old Bluetooth and it plays music from the phone, calls etc absolutely fine. What does mirror link android auto etc offer over that? Any help greatly appreciated :lol:
Hi I also just had the car - Peugeot 3008 2017 GT line 1.6 THP - for just a few days and I had two problems: First I cannot get my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge charging wirelessly, waiting for the local tech person to check with motor company re a solution.
The second was connecting my phone with mirror link - Just solved it today. I downloaded Peugeot CarApp on my phone and as soon as I connected my phone through USB it started connecting procedures and followed the steps.
Maybe you can try this as it seemed to have solved my mirror link issue.
Good Luck,
Paul

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I spent a number of hours yesterday managing all of my music and artwork taking it from my USB stick into iTunes and now have all of my Music nicely presented on my iPhone 6S.

I'll start dabbling with Carplay functionality today. Once my iPhone 6S is connected via the Apple lead, can you just push one button to get to the Carplay screen? I'm sure when I tried it last week the piano key didn't go straight to the Carplay screen.

I was also wondering if you had the Tomtom navigation map up on the screen, will it inform you that a text message has arrived, or do you have to be sitting on the Carplay screen all the time?

I use MyPeugeot to log all of my car trips (via bluetooth) and have done since collection a week ago. When you plug in your Apple lead, it switches the bluetooth connection off. I'm guessing though, that as the car data logs the trips anyway, if I remove the lead before I switch off the car, it should hook back the bluetooth connection and capture the trips as normal?

Sorry for all the questions, but the forum is such a responsive mine of information, I'm sure someone will know before I dabble!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I spent a number of hours yesterday managing all of my music and artwork taking it from my USB stick into iTunes and now have all of my Music nicely presented on my iPhone 6S.

I'll start dabbling with Carplay functionality today. Once my iPhone 6S is connected via the Apple lead, can you just push one button to get to the Carplay screen? I'm sure when I tried it last week the piano key didn't go straight to the Carplay screen.

I was also wondering if you had the Tomtom navigation map up on the screen, will it inform you that a text message has arrived, or do you have to be sitting on the Carplay screen all the time?

I use MyPeugeot to log all of my car trips (via bluetooth) and have done since collection a week ago. When you plug in your Apple lead, it switches the bluetooth connection off. I'm guessing though, that as the car data logs the trips anyway, if I remove the lead before I switch off the car, it should hook back the bluetooth connection and capture the trips as normal?

Sorry for all the questions, but the forum is such a responsive mine of information, I'm sure someone will know before I dabble!
If you press the 'phone' piano key it takes you straight to CarPlay. A text notification will appear on any screen, if you touch it you get the option for Siri to read it to you. The journeys still log and get pushed through to your phone once you disconnect CarPlay....I find this a little flaky on my car though and it sometimes takes a few journeys before a batch of them come through at once.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts