Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Peugeot 3008 has the annoying habit of shutting off the power/radio after only a few minutes if the engine is not running. Meaning I can't sit in the car listening to the radio whilst the wife is doing and that's totally absurd and beyond justification. I have owned cars since early 70s and never had the radio shut down on me. Initial thought I had a flat battery but it transpires that this is just one hell of a Peugeot electronics bug that is annoying lots of Peugeot owners. I have also read that there is a possible cut for this spawn of the devil and that being this is an engineer setting that could either be extended or disabled altogether. Yeayyyyyyyy. Anyone know how economy mode can be disabled?

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
As above economy mode is variable based on battery voltage so if you have a good battery it will allow the radio to play longer but it CANNOT be disabled it is designed to shut down anything draining the battery so that the car can always be started.

If its coming on after a couple of minutes your battery is tired so either fit a new battery fit a larger capacity battery or live with it those are the only options

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. It's nothing to do with the battery. After a little research I found this is a very common grievance on Peugeots (mostly on this forum), none of which were caused or cured by the state of the battery. I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to have it disabled

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've had it, and a new battery certainly fixed it for me. I vaguely recall on at least one of my 407s, if not both.

My 508 GT was doing it most recently, and Peugeot fitted me a new battery.
That was lasting less than 10 minutes parked up before it kicked in.
Although it would last longer after a period of good runs.
Still needed a new battery though.

My 406 threw ABS faults as well as economy mode when it needed a new battery.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Dealer WILL NOT disable it as they CANNOT disable it :)

You seem to think this is a problem its not a problem it is a designed in feature to help save battery life and means the car should always be able to start

If you are using ignition on or on first position then the economy mode will come on quicker instead of doing that turn ignition off and press power button on radio this means you are ONLY turning on the radio and it will work for longer.

As for its not the battery well thats wrong it IS the battery voltage that the car uses to decide when to go into economy mode good battery last longer than a weak battery simple as that.

·
5,115 Posts
Nope. It's nothing to do with the battery. After a little research I found this is a very common grievance on Peugeots (mostly on this forum), none of which were caused or cured by the state of the battery. I'm calling my dealer tomorrow to have it disabled
cant be disabled as has been said, IT IS the battery and if you read the posts on this forum about it you would understand that.
Good luck with the dealer and get back to us with the result please ??

·
4,022 Posts
The main dealer will probably not know what 'economy mode' is and want to do a diagnostic check and check the ecu out?'

·
Registered
357 Posts
It appears as though the op is taking economy mode somewhat personally, almost as though it's only activated to annoy... It's not that new a thing (see attachment, a page from an 11 year old owner handbook), and surely if it was so much an issue to so many it wouldn't require a search to find out what it is.

I (now) know of a few ways to get around some of it, but I don't think it's the sort of thing that most people nowadays would understand nor want to start messing around with - it's certainly not a 'press this button to disable' type of procedure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had the same issue, very very annoying when I can't sit with the radio on even for 5 minutes. I checked my battery and it was fine.

Checked Peugeot Planet, I told the car it had a new battery and..... nada. Still the same.

When doing some other work in the engine bay (installing an ultracapcitor bank), I disconnected the battery and when I reconnected it, the radio would remain on as it should.

I doubt the ultracapacitor bank made any difference to it but I bet it was disconnecting and reconnecting the battery which did it. Try that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What happened at the dealers on the 24th when you took it to a dealer to be "fixed"? I am really interested to find out what they said. What they actually said.
Or is your UN an indication of things?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I reckon the lack of reply is because the dealer turned off economy mode but isn't supposed to do it, so did it secretly as a personal favour on condition they never told anyone...

It's the only plausible explanation ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts