Peugeot Forums banner

anyone changed head gasket on 1.4 16v engine

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  adam19952013 
#1 ·
hi folks
had a leaking thermostat housing which I posted in another thread, but looking in the oil filler cap and the air inlet both have a lot of "mayo" mess
also "mayo" in the rocker box breather pipe to the air inlet
has anyone changed there head gasket on this model 1.4 16V
how hard is it ?
looks like I will need head skimming or recon head

#2 ·
3 attempts!

Had the head gasket replaced on my mrs 1.4 sport (56 plate) at a good independant garage as it was leaking when we bought it (which i missed), but it took them 3 attempts to stop it leaking :eek:, only charged me though for the original 1st attempt. Apparently when they took the head to be skimmed it had previously been skimmed by a previous owner but it had to be skimmed again to it's limit to cure the leak. Ok now though, but the front cam top cover does weep oil slightly now, have tried sealing it but not quite sorted it yet.

#4 ·
would not want to try to re-tighten the bolts

the expansion tank was empty so I topped it up, daughter only drove for 5 miles, and the temp gauge shot up and the dash board alarmed up "STOP"
which she did, got it home and found the thermostat housing gasket had blown also the rocker breather pipe and oil filler cap covered in "mayo" (sign of water & oil mixed)
she only drives about 8 miles each way to work so I was hoping the "Mayo" could be condensation due to such small runs, but think I'm grasping at straws,
the rocker box breather pipe is broken and that would air to be sucked in reducing the air sucked from the rocker boxes, (think I'm trying to convince myself here
last time I checked the water levels was a few weeks ago, so don't know when or how quick it had dropped

#7 ·
try not to hi-jack threads.

a head gasket can blow on any car. i have your car (2008, 44k miles) and i dont get mayo in the oil, despite also doing mainly short runs.

however if it disappears completely after a long run, and only slowly accumulates again when doing short runs it is likely just condensation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.