Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
307 1.6Hdi 2005 (facelifted), in Australia
driving to work this am, as per usual the gauge sitting nicely on 90, then suddenly goes straight to the top of gauge, with all the warning lights and bells etc.
Dove off the main road into side street, bonnet up, no probs there and not too hot.
From there on in it would randomly jump to the top of the gauge and then drop back to where it normally sits.
The car showed none of the normal symptoms of being too hot, drove normally , no smell
So question is where is the short or faulty sensor?

Any responses welcome???

·
Registered
464 Posts
306 diesel here, not a 307 but....

Year or so ago, my car (which sits rock solid at normal temps no matter what I do) got real hot real quick (not a flick from normal to max but a quick climb) - I pulled over, called roadside recovery out and the guy couldn't find anything wrong and it's never happened since.

Doesn't help IN THE SLIGHTEST to help isolate the problem but might ease the worry (and might not)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and no it doesnt help at all:lol:BUT yes it does confirm my initial thinking that it's not really too hot at all...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Did the temp gauge climb quickly, or literally flick from normal to the top of the scale? If it was a more gradual climb I'd be more worried than a straight flick because there's no way the engine can jump from 80 to 120+ in a fraction of a second - that'd obviously be an electrical gremlin as opposed to genuine overheating

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep it did "flick"

Yep, went straight up, a flick as you say, and back down the same way.
I'm pretty comfortable its an electrical gremlin. I was hoping someone else had seen it before and resolved rather that having to work through the possibilities...

·
11,780 Posts
Yes, its a common fault, the temperature sender unit in the engine block is faulty. Its located in the side, facing the battery.

Just pick up a new one and replace, they're not dear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts