Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now then.

I'm not entirely sure but I've managed to have 4 leds knacker on me after replacing bog standard Orange.

The leds work perfectly when tested with a multimetre, but don't work when they're in the dash and connected to the car. It was originally 2 that wouldn't work but I decided to change the three for the mile counter, and then only one of them worked.

I'm not sure what I did. Can static electricity knack them? Ugh its a crap feeling this.

I'd appreciate any help guys

Cheers

·
Registered
176 Posts
Post a pic of the leds and what make they are.

Leds are Light Emitting Diodes and Diodes (95%) are built to work in one direction only.

The other thing you can do is to replace the working LED with one of the leds that appears not to be working, pay attention to how they are fitting in (polarity) it might be as simple as plugging the led in the other way around.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
this problem is confusing...checked doubled checked that they are the right way round and not "bridged"

if you have the time mate, ill be happy to look at this for you...its my job in my profesional workplace so circuit boards are dead easy to look at and sort.

im off wednesday till saturday...so if you have time then i can spend the day looking at it for you :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aye if I get my car back I will mate, the bloke came to pick it up today and circle the damages. He said if it has to be a full respray it may possibly be a write-off...

Anyway back to the topic, mate I'd greatly appreciate it! It's frustrating me so much, they aren't bridged, and my dad scratched a little plastic off each pad and tried them with the multimeter and the LED lit up. So the current is going through the LED.

It's so frustrating because the mile counter display LEDs all worked when I replaced them, but the UV ones I put in were too dim, and so when I replaced them with white ones, two didn't work! I did nothing wrong :( - Did the same with these and they lit up. There must be something critical I don't understand about circuit boards.

To me, it looks like the power isn't getting to the LEDs, maybe shorted elsewhere..

John is it possible to fry anything with static electricity on these?

If I get my car back, I'll bring it to you, or a place you're comfortable working with soldering stuff. My iron and soldering stuff is very basic so if you have your own stuff you'd probably have more joy, but I can bring all my kit if you wish..

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
well i would say if your car is valued as mine was it would be around £1500, insurers normally say 50% and its a write off so say £750...should be able to get a respray for that...surely..

yeah ill check it...may have to have it for a few hours or the day...if thats ok...depends on how big the job is. ill use my kit...mines basic also but it does the job and that all matters

as for static damaging circuits...yeah you can...depending on the static charge it could be very serious! the worse case i've seen is a colleague was fixing a motherboard and he didnt wear an earth strap and didnt follow standard SOPs he ended up cooking the BIOS chip...very bad indeed! and because all circuit boards are similar, they are static sensitive and damage can be caused.

i'd say the best place would be my dads as all my kit is there and you wouldnt be allowed to enter the RAF site as its clearance only :lol: its in gateshead if thats ok? theres a metro up the road which will take you to newcastle central if you dont want to wait around :lol::thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll hover about, see what I can learn. :D if that's ok mate!

How much you after for it?

Cheers BTW

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I'll hover about, see what I can learn. :D if that's ok mate!

How much you after for it?

Cheers BTW
no worries...i hope your not scared of dogs, got a husky and a rhodisian ridgeback cross staffy :lol: both soft as muck

say about £10 for it?

like i say im back wednesday after 2ish (finished night shift so i sleep till then, then drive...too dangerous to do a 12 hour night shift then drive home :rolleyes:), thursday im in all day (car is out getting tinted from early hours), friday in all day - no plans, saturday in till evening time...so its down to you :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right let me get back to you on that one.

:D

I've got a 60 reg Megane. Looks smart as owt! Anyone driven one of these before? I havent had a chance yet, but hopefully itll be a decent one like. It's a 1.6 petrol coupe are they good?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Right let me get back to you on that one.

:D

I've got a 60 reg Megane. Looks smart as owt! Anyone driven one of these before? I havent had a chance yet, but hopefully itll be a decent one like. It's a 1.6 petrol coupe are they good?
is that just a courtesy car? if it is i think they are just going to repair the damage for you...i dont think they will give you one if they were going to call it a write off :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One company has took it to look at it and estimate it to the insurance company. Then the insurance company have paid for a hire vehicle for me too.

It's because the lad who came to take pictures of the dents saw the car was dirty so told me to phone if I found any more when I cleaned it. So I did phone but he'd already told the insurance company, so he said they'd sort it out when it goes in.

So there's still time to write her off :(

I might have to stray from french for the first time in my car history if I get another car!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
One company has took it to look at it and estimate it to the insurance company. Then the insurance company have paid for a hire vehicle for me too.

It's because the lad who came to take pictures of the dents saw the car was dirty so told me to phone if I found any more when I cleaned it. So I did phone but he'd already told the insurance company, so he said they'd sort it out when it goes in.

So there's still time to write her off :(

I might have to stray from french for the first time in my car history if I get another car!
personally i dont think it will be, a respray doesnt cost that much...i got offered a full respray on my peugeot for £400 if i remember correctly.

meganes are pretty good like...a lad had one here...then he drove into a back of a lorry (the smaller ones) or something. rapid when booted, still no match for renault sport tho.

if they do what car you looking at? ford maybe? :rolleyes: haha only joking...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts