Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought car last Oct, seller advised changing starter motor from 1.4 to 1.7kw to improve poor cold weather starting which I did (new cheaper one £65).This mostly solved the problem till temp dropped below zero, so put on new battery which saw us through winter, no problems all summer.From Oct this year been having to use a squirt of easy start which seller had also advised as alternative. Once started like this it starts ok until parked up 5-6 hours.
I've had a quick look at some similar posts, faults mentioned include blocked FAP filter,faulty primary fuel pump in tank, fuel regulator, lift pump and stop solenoid. Car runs great apart from this and have just put new cat on but MOT due worried using easy start might knacker engine!
Sorry it's a bit longwinded any ideas greatly appreciated:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Bought car last Oct, seller advised changing starter motor from 1.4 to 1.7kw to improve poor cold weather starting which I did (new cheaper one £65).This mostly solved the problem till temp dropped below zero, so put on new battery which saw us through winter, no problems all summer.From Oct this year been having to use a squirt of easy start which seller had also advised as alternative. Once started like this it starts ok until parked up 5-6 hours.
I've had a quick look at some similar posts, faults mentioned include blocked FAP filter,faulty primary fuel pump in tank, fuel regulator, lift pump and stop solenoid. Car runs great apart from this and have just put new cat on but MOT due worried using easy start might knacker engine!
Sorry it's a bit longwinded any ideas greatly appreciated:rolleyes:
You need to get it on planet/diagbox to read the codes and have a look at live data have a good read of the link below it explains a lot of stuff like how to contact a member with the relevant equipment needed http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
HDI has no stop solenoid you most likely dont have a FAP/DPF either

Primary fuel pump IS lift pump this MIGHT be the issue but unlikely

Your new cat was a waste of money so thats most of your list covered :)

Fuel pressure regulator on rear of pump being dirty or fuel leakback overnight due to pinhole in pipe are most likely reasons

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any ideas

Thanks very much for the advice on the likely causes I'll get them checked out ASAP. Do you know if there's likely to be a Visual sign with a pinhole leak, ie diesel on floor or noticeable drop on fuel gauge and to allay concerns from internet has my using easy start been harmful to the engine, thanks very much again!:lol:

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Thanks very much for the advice on the likely causes I'll get them checked out ASAP. Do you know if there's likely to be a Visual sign with a pinhole leak, ie diesel on floor or noticeable drop on fuel gauge and to allay concerns from internet has my using easy start been harmful to the engine, thanks very much again!:lol:
a pin hole would suck air in and not leak diesel out and they can be hard to find sometimes

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Thats untrue its 1 of these things dreamed up by someone years ago and it has been repeated through the years.

The problem with using easy start is the explosion can damage the rings if you get overexcited with it or too much can lock up the engine making it harder to start there is no logical reason why the engine would become addicted to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any ideas

Thanks for all the advice given!Will post back when problem solved. RAC also advised having heater plugs and relay checked, so plenty to go at!
Cheers again!

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Lots of things that do happen have no logical reason. Doesn't mean it doesn't happem. I personally know of two engines that would never start until easystart / ether was introduced. One was a Bedford truck the other was a static engine used for training mechanics bolted to a stand in a technical workshop. Both belonged to the army. The training facility used retired civilian mechanics with 30+ years experience as instructors and they couldn't get the thing to start without using easystart. Course, this was before the days of ECU management.

Another thing they had was a petrol engine that started and ran fine with a big chunk missing out of the distributor cap so you could see the operation of the distributor. The very first question asked by all who saw it for the first time was 'how can it work with a piece missing when just a crack can prevent it starting?' This one does have a logical answer though.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Thats my point some things need a bit of help to start but just because the devils brew starts it does not mean it needs it to start there was no logical reason WHY it only started with easy start but there is no logical reason why easy start will make it ONLY start with it either.

Too much can damage engines but once whatever is making an engine not start is fixed it will start without it i am starting 1 of my clios with it just now as it needs an injector and is leaking back overnight but once fixed it will not need it anymore :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any ideas

Can I get one last bit of advice , last nite was looking through some old posts about poor starting and a couple really emphasised the role of a good starter in cold weather. As I mentioned at the start of post, the 1st thing I did which the seller advised was to change the 1.4kw one for a 1.7kw one which initially cured the poor starting.But this new one only cost £60 as opposed to some better makes that were £140+.Given this and it's been on over a year do you think replacing the starter again with a better make starter could solve the problem before putting it in for costly garage repairs, cheers again!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Can I get one last bit of advice , last nite was looking through some old posts about poor starting and a couple really emphasised the role of a good starter in cold weather. As I mentioned at the start of post, the 1st thing I did which the seller advised was to change the 1.4kw one for a 1.7kw one which initially cured the poor starting.But this new one only cost £60 as opposed to some better makes that were £140+.Given this and it's been on over a year do you think replacing the starter again with a better make starter could solve the problem before putting it in for costly garage repairs, cheers again!
the best way to answer that is get it on diagnostics and have a look at the live data for the engine speed while cranking

this link explains how to contact a member with the relevant equipment http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts