Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrite Guys,

Was with my Dad yesterday looking at a 407 V6 HDi coupe nice motor well kept and service history right up to 104k the car now got 118k and full year mot, there are a few bits that I noticed:

rust round the bottom of the inner doors, water getting into boot area its along
the drivers side rear light, also the rear lights are steaming up as well as the front ones, next up theres a fault with the parking sensors and tyre pressure system, I did not have my computer with me yesterday but they popped on the screen. this is hard to explain but when your coming to a stop the car shudders for a few seconds when I think it drops down the gears now its very noticeable on my his own car now (407 136 Hdi auto) it does it but not as harsh any ideas gear box or engine mounts?

when we took it for a drive the car was full off power spin the wheels when he took off it was fighting for grip he soon good use to the power it was very smooth the engine sounds nice and inside its tidy!

is there anything major to look out on these setups? engine ect any big worrys to keep an eye out for

it has the dpf setup would this be best to get removed? also what kind of MPG are you guys getting on town and long runs

thanks in advance guys,:thumb:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you haven't seen a rusty one yet, you just haven't looked in the right spots. underneath + behind inner wheel arches for example. my good old 1993 405 is actually less rusty than my 407. and my dad's 407 also rusts quite a bit on the sills. mine did that too but I did respray it myself. Also bottom of doors and drivers door handle on mine has lost the paint on some spots, it just looses its adhesion to the Zink layer on the metal. same happened to rear hatch on our 308 which was repainted under warranty this week.

It doesn't mean that they rust more than other cars though. But in our salty road environments during winter time the old 405 had far more superior underbody protection especially. and also probably thicker galvanizing layer. they tend to reduce everything to a minimum these days to reduce costs.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm in to detailing so suffice to say I've looked. Both of mine regularly up on axle stands with wheels off, arch liners out. I reckon the underneath of mine is cleaner than some peoples interiors. I've not seen any rust anywhere on my two, and I don't think my dads is rusty either.

·
5,087 Posts
Mines showing signs of rust along the bottom edge of the drivers door and it really pisses me off

not sent from a crappy Apple product

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
my 406 went rusty on the passenger door. i had that sorted out. since my brother bought it, it has got a little blister start above the light on the bonnet. i sprayed some rust killer between the skins then some white grease to protect it and so far it hasnt got any worse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
407 hdi owner

Sad to see that this thread has concentrated upon rust.....
Can you name ANY modern car that does NOT have rust....somewhere?

I have the 407 coupe ('55-plated) and actually thoroughly enjoy it.
It is fast (enough). Cruises rather better than my former Jag-S. Is very economic (...OK, most cars are economic c/f Jags...), with around 40mpg avg. Auto gearbox - Tiptronic - is sweet as a nut. Seating is very comfortable/widely adjustable.... although my wife reckons opening the - large - door & low recaro-style seat takes a bit of effort on exit ! Radio/Cd (JBL) is superb. Tyre wear is good. Boot-space is ample (for a 2+2).

However.....with still only 50k on the clock, it does seem to spend quite a time in the garage...mainly with "niggly" faults (but ALL of which require the use of the Agency's diagnostic 'puter!) It is not a good car for DIY-ers.

But I bought this one for it's "looks".... and in that respect it is a real head-turner :)

There are many very helpful contributors to this Forum who, I am sure, will help you with every aspect of ownership, maintenance and trouble-shooting!

Enjoy it!
Mac :thumb:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have one of these - had a few niggles, but has not put me off the car - I really like the car, love driving it and it a real cruiser - you would definately enjoy, plus I have never driven past another one of any engine size as of yet on the road :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys for the feed back anyone know if the engines and auto gearboxes give bother?

I had a look at this yesterday and had planet with me and first time using diagbox looks strange but kinda got the in the end am so use to PP2000 lol

heres some screen shots of the faults any input would be great :thumb:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts