Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched through many posts on this topic but would appreciate additional guidance.
207 1.6 HDi 2010.
  • When I switch on ignition there is a beep, display says "Antitheft faulty" and a warning symbol on the instrument cluster is activated.
  • Aside from that things seem to work. the engine cranks but without sign of life
  • The user guide suggest this is an immobilizer problem and I need to contact a Peugeot workshop.

It all happened a very cold (-15 deg C) morning a few days ago. Starting failed due to a weak battery.
I noticed the clock and date was reset making me believe the sleep/wake of other ECU's where uncontrolled,
and from other posts I'm afraid some software has been corrupt.
The BSI is mentioned often - is that what I should assume has gone bad?
Can it be reprogrammed/virginized? Or do I need a used virginized BSI and help from a "programmer" to merry it with the ECU and my key?
I'm sure there are a number of options.
Can the Engine ECU go bad as well?

I've tried the BSI reset procedure many times.
There is only one key
All fuses are good and they have voltage.
I have a general OBD2 Scanner, but it won't let me access the ECU anymore. It did before this happened.
The way this started make me believe it does not have to do with broken wires, etc,
Thanks in advance

·
9,199 Posts
That warning is the immobiliser is not seeing a coded key. Have you done any work on the car prior to the error or changed key case etc.

Its also possible the transponder pick up ring has failed so the key is not being detected

Its also possible bsi has lost key codes due to weak battery

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for quick reply. No work prior, other than diagnosing a check engine light and "antipollution faulty".
The OBD2 scanner showed P0104 (MAF sensor circuit intermittent).
The car was running well in all aspects except for the code.
So the morning I was planning to drive into my garage and work on it, the temperature had suddenly dropped to -15 and this new situation appeared :-(
So right now I'm thinking software problems rather than hardware.
But yes, the key is clearly not recognized, except for the central locking which still works from the key.
The "beep test" also fails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again, with the car undrivable I took out the ECU to have it checked at a workshop, and it is supposedly ok.
With that I'm guessing the BSI is the problem by having lost information preventing the recognition of the key when it sync with the ECU.
I'm thinking of buying a used BSI where the seller claim he can copy over necessary data from my existing BSI.
Will that work?
Any better/other ideas?
Is there a way one can verify if the BSI is corrupt before I order a new and send it away for cloning?
(Btw, if the BSI is corrupt, how can it's data be used for cloning a new BSI? Isn't the ECU data needed as well)
Thanks in advance

·
9,199 Posts
Does the beep test work (ign on then off, leave key in ign and open drivers door. Does it beep)

If not key is not detected so could be lost BSI code transponder ring or comms unit.

Anyone with diagbox should be able to read BSI and see if keys are stored and VIN etc which should show if BSI is corrupt.

If you have PIN code they could also recode keys

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for response and your vast knowledge :)

No - beep test not working.
Yes, I got the PIN code from the guy who checked the ECU (which I took out and brought to him).

Sound like next step is to have the guy come home to me and the vehicle to check the BSI and recode key if necessary,
I'm assuming it needs to be done in the car ?

Btw - found a better iOS App which could read DTC's via the ELM327 device. The other apps I tried stopped working after my "battery disaster" which resulted in this immobilizer state.
A new DTC was there, U2000 indicating missing wake up signal of the CAN bus. Caused by the immobilizer I assume.
I.e. I'm still working with the assumption that the BSI cannot find a key it recognize, and I'm 99.99% sure it's not the key that has changed.
Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again, problem solved in an expected way. It turned out the transponder in the key suddenly stopped functioning. I was quite sure it was some software corruption the way the problem occurred (described above). Uncovered when I found someone with more advanced diagnostic tools who could come to my garage.
Lessons learned: As I wrote, I was only 99..99 % sure (but not based on facts based on proper diagnostics). Turned out the 0.01% was the problem ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts