Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new here. I have a 308 petrol 08 plate. (My 5th Peugeot)
I hope this is the right place to post problems?
The EWL is on, and on starting the Antipollution Faulty warning comes up.
Something intermittent is happening too. The fan sometimes comes on high speed, the 'antipollution faulty' flashes again. Sometimes, but not always, the engine starts to run rough/lumpy and loses power.
If I stop, turn off engine, wait for fan to stop - 5 minutes-ish, re start, the fan stays off and the engine runs fine again. Sometimes the fan comes on at initial start for the day, and I've tried turning off as above, and it doesn't come on the second time, or tried just driving to work (3 miles) and it's been fine and sometimes it's not.
I've done two longer 12 miles and 20 mile journeys over the weekend, and no symptoms (other than AP faulty)
This started about a month ago. (although I borrowed a friends car for some of that time)
Initially I took the car to my local garage, they said they knew what it was, did a service and said it was fine.

Fault still there on my way home, (including loss of power) . Rung garage they said return it in the morning, but overnight in speaking to friends several had had similar problems with the same garage - so I didn't, and Googled the problem.

I found this website, and took my car to the local 'Planet Peugeot' (very helpful man), a couple of days ago, so now have some codes (and a report) that perhaps you expert peeps could help me with please?
I am not experienced with cars and will have to take mine to a garage to have any but minor things done.
I can't afford for them to keep 'trying' ideas and not solve the issue!

Thank you for reading this long post x

P1337 Combustion misfiring on cylinder 1 fault
P1340 Combustion misfiring on cylinder 4 fault
P0011 Inlet camshaft dephasing fault
P11A8 Exhaust camshaft dephasing fault
P1336 Fault misfiring on unspecified cylinders

There is a report too. I can add that if that's helpful?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. Reliable406 and Gibbo

It's a 1.4 petrol.
Does that make any difference?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Just gotta find a reliable garage to do the work.

Sorry to be uneducated about cars, but what exactly to I ask them to replace when I take the car to them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All EP6 engines manufactured between 2007 to 2010 are effected with timing chain issue. Those symptoms show somewhere early or late depends on car maintenance and drive style. Best practice to replace timing chain components as precautionary maintenance and use correct oil grade 5w30 with 5k or 7.5k intervals.

·
Registered
96 Posts
All EP6 engines manufactured between 2007 to 2010 are effected with timing chain issue. Those symptoms show somewhere early or late depends on car maintenance and drive style. Best practice to replace timing chain components as precautionary maintenance and use correct oil grade 5w30 with 5k or 7.5k intervals.
Dont know how true it is, but ive been told by a mechanic out in Backup, he breaks just peugeots too, I brought a cam cover off him, looked brand new, he told me that if you buy a decent kit, Febi, INA etc, once its been changed, its good for 80K miles, unlike the original that needed changing every 20K miles or so :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get a cheap OBD2 bluetooth scanner off eBay and an app like Torque for your phone, this will give you engine management error codes. Don't trust Torque's decoding of the codes, google them instead.

Given your description "Antipollution alert, very rough running, loss of power" it's most likely an ignition coil. Good news it's a very cheap/easy fix.

First, try easy steps first. Pull off the ignition cables from the spark plugs and put them back on good and firm, give them a wiggle.

If that doesn't work, try swapping the coils around. The OBD2 error codes will tell you which cylinder has the faulty coil (P1337 through to P1340), and if that number changes after you swap the coils over, you've confirmed where the problem is. Buy a new ignition coil and swap the faulty unit out, problem solved.

If the number stays the same, time to check the spark plugs.

Problems with ignition coils have knock-on effects to other engine systems, hence the multiple codes. Fixing the ignition problem will most likely cure the other issues. Good luck!

This happened to my 207 CC a couple of times. Now I carry a spare ignition coil in the boot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, family visited over the weekend, with ODBII reader (how handy!!)

They also have a Peugeot!!

Initially had lots of codes - P1337, P3140, P11A8, P1336, B2AAA (mostly the same as before). Cleared the codes so starting from a fresh state. Engine warning lights stayed out for about 24 hours and seemed to be slightly better in it's running.

Engine warning light has now come back on and after reading codes again it's only thrown a P11A8 this time but doesn't seem to be running rough of have a lack of power.

Any additional thoughts based on the new information? Many thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me again!
I was ill for a month and didn't make any progress, but my car went to the garage finally this week.
I found it difficult to find a garage that would do the work without wanting to do their own diagnostics (and charging of course)
This garage said they would change the timing chain, but when I took it in, running 'lumpy', they said they had to run their own diagnostics, and they had a 'team of Peugeot Experts' they could phone for technical help.
They did offer that if it turned out to be what I'd already been told, they wouldn't charge for the diagnostics.
The codes came up the same, but the 'Peuguot Experts' said to try this first .....
(which garage did)
'remove both camshaft position sensors, clean and refit in opposite positions, road test'
'remove the inlet and exhaust variable valve timing solenoids, clean & refit in opposite positions, road test'

'VVT actuator valve inlet filters choked with magnetic shards restricting oil flow.
Source of shards unknown and may indicate imminent failure of an internal engine component'

Garage said 'drive it, symptoms may return after a week or two or perhaps not at all, magnetic shards maybe 'just 70,000 miles of wear and tear'

I collected car, and drove towards home, all symptoms returned within 4 miles.
Garage says bring in back on Tuesday and they'll have another look.

I've spent £500 on original garage trying to sort the issues (included 2 new tyres, a wheel hub and a service), and now £227 on the 2nd go at sorting it.

The car is only worth what? £800 (08 plate)

Should I cut my losses and scrap it, or carry on ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
my 307 sw 90 2002 had a loss os power and mechanic sorted the problem of the lack of power but the light is still on ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Timing chain also change vvt hub while your in there fai chain number TCK118VVT KIT INCLUDES ROCKER GASKET TENSIONER AND VVT HUB £196 off ebay FAI are as good if not better than genuine that is if yours is the 16 thp engine Just changed mine now she runs like a dream and much more power

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
As i said at the start its most likely timing chain related the vvt solenoids do get clogged up its normal after a decent mileage so your garage is right in that its normal wear and tear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts