Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 307 1.6 HDI has this error message on the display and has very limited rev's and poor acceleration. Also has very light smoke that disappears not long after car is running.

Any ideas of things that i should look at first ??

R

·
0 Posts
Hi,

My 307 1.6 HDI has this error message on the display and has very limited rev's and poor acceleration. Also has very light smoke that disappears not long after car is running.

Any ideas of things that i should look at first ??
first port of call would be get it hooked up to planet to read the fault codes then take it from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was going to do that on Monday but the real culprit seems to have reared it's head before then.

Went on motorway and started loosing power gradually , got smell of smoke in the car and the engine was still running fine (ableit no power) with no strange noises. Called out the AA and he hooked up his diagnostics and found no fault and after taking off a hose to the turbo and sticking his fingers inside and trying to rotate it, he said it was stiff and should move much more freely than it was and said it was causing some sort of blockage from the turbo as there was back soot on the outside of the turbo casing.

He was also surprised by this as the turbo had been recently replaced on the car, less than 2000 miles ago.

Not looking forward to taking the car to peugeot on monday now as i can imagine whatever the problem may be with the turbo, its going to cost a fortune :nono:

Wonder if there's a fault on these cars that can eat a new turbo in under 2000 miles, or something that the garages aint doing properly.

Guess my antipollutant fault aint going to be a problem any more, as the car wont be running nor polluting. :mad:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Who replaced the turbo? These cars dont eat their turbos but the turbo replacement procedure is complex and a replacement can fail very quickly if the procedure isn't followed accordingly. I reckon thats what caused the failure.

D

·
0 Posts
Basically the engine was rubbish the first time the turbo went. Sorry to be blunt but thats a fact. What was service history like. If theres some of it missing then thats the problem.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First 60k in services were all done by a peugeot main dealer and a smaller garage afterwards. And the car has only done 84k in total

Similar story to mine is on "http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic-12549.html"

The link to the test case on that page does not seem to work any more and managed to download it before it went down.

Have uploaded it here :

http://www.filedropper.com/presentation-16-hdi-carbo-issues . Its a PDF file and will need adobe reader to view it.

Too similar is the words and i have the fear that the damage has been done to my car and its beyond economical repair now.

Just thought i would share this in this forum as there obviously seems to be very minor cases that cause this "Antipollutant Fault" and ones that if not dealt with properly literally kill your car :(

Had a 206 2.0 HDI before and the engine in that one was built good enough to pull a tank and i thought the newer one on the 307 would have been better.

Just hope that this might make people think about spending a little to get their car checked over properly by a dealer or another garage that is competent with these engines if they get the "Antipollutant Fault" ....... will save a lot of heartache and cost in the long run.

D

·
0 Posts
To make one correction. Anti pollution faulty is a generic warning for ANY engine management issue not just a failed turbo.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup Dave, which is why i mentioned it. As its too generic to actually be usefull.

It might be trivial and it might also be something much bigger than you think.

The messages that i have read saying that this fault is probably related to DPF or MAF , unless they are knowledgeable with cars.. Should never assume that it is the case.

The AA guy that came plugged it his laptop and found no faults on my car whatsoever, and only when he took off one of the hoses to the turbo and stuck his finger in the that he said the impellar was turning but mega stiff.

D

·
0 Posts
Knowing these cars and engine so well its usually the first thing I check on a car coming into the workshop. Especially a 1.6hdi down on power. Remove pipe to turbo and give the shaft a riggle. Most of the time they're broken. Next question I ask is when the car was serviced last and with what oil, most people haven't a clue about both. And then they wonder why its broken.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ain't clever at all when it comes to cars mate, but would love to try and save my wee car as i only got it about 2 weeks ago and have done about 200 miles since i bought it. Was wondering if you think it would be cost effective to try and save it. Like i said on the forum that the AA guy thinks the turbo has gone and is somehow blocked as there is soot that has gathered on the outside casing of the turbo itself, and the car also appears to be burning some oil. I know you cant see the car but do you think to fix this would run into many hundreds or more like a thousand ?. And is there likely to be damage to the cylinders.. etc.

D

·
0 Posts
Ok. Soot on the outside of the turbo usually relates to the clamp between the exhaust and the turbo is leaking. Its a common issue. As regards the oil burning, are you sure its oil and not soot ie black smoke?

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just guessing that its oil, as its sort of greyish smoke when its idling and it gets dirtier (black) if you rev it up. Smells kinda different to what i would imagine oil would smell like though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts