Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

Ive got a 2002 Petrol 1.6 - which has done around 99000. Which is the recommended antifreeze - I wish to top up as winter is approaching. Are the OAT ones from Halfords ok for my model ?

Also, should I drain the current coolant/antifreeze out before putting the new one (50:50 mixture with water?) in ?

thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Which is the recommended antifreeze - I wish to top up as winter is approaching.

Also, should I drain the current coolant/antifreeze out before putting the new one (50:50 mixture with water?) in ?
I can't help you with the recommendation regards Halfords, but once again, Gibbo has it spot on (and beat me to it!),

Always drain and flush, and stick to one type, as recommended by the manufacturer. It needs to be compatible with the metals used in the engine, as well as the seals and gaskets.

Have ever seen where two coolants have been mixed and turn brown? That is a chemical reaction, and in many cases can cause problems.

If you want a longer version, checkout THIS POST in THIS THREAD for a wee bit more info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Gibbo & Griogarach.....I am absolutely new to this stuff......so I will try and find a guide to flushing out the current antifreeze/coolant in my 307 and then filling it up with a new one.....

Would you know which Antifreeze will be ok for my 307 ?....I can do with a standard one rather than a pricey option.

·
5,624 Posts
RED OAT long life is fine, I always by concentrate and distilled water separately as I find it a lot cheaper.

Sure ECP "Sale" is still on so can be got for a good price, don't bother with reg no just go via accessories tab

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Monty, Windy and Gibbo

I will refer to the Haynes manual for the detailed steps....have got a dark (blue) coolant in at the moment from what I can see. Planning to get the Red one from ECP cos it looks better than the blue one. I believe I'll need 3 litres of antifreeze and 3 litres of water to fill it up

·
11,711 Posts
Yep, a 50% mix is absolutely fine. Just make sure you thoroughly flush the system clean.

I did have some screen captures of the coolant procedure from the Haynes manual but I'm not sure if they're still on the net. Try searching for some old threads by me relating to coolant and see if the pictures show.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Gibbo and Danny...going by the haynes manual it does look bit more complicated but I'm sure I can manage....... I bought my 307 it back in April this year and have done 10,000 miles till now so maybe its too early to go for antifreeze renewal.....I can go with the easy option of top up but Ive always wanted to clean and refill the antifreeze before winter mainly because I wasnt sure how well the previous owner was with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just bought a 2005 307 and planning to change its antifreeze (along with water pump/belt etc).

Thinking of going for the Triple QX Red Concentrate.
5 litre for 17 pounds.

I assume this is suitable for my 1.6 petrol engine?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
yes its fine. you will find thats concentrate so you will need to mix 50 50. if its ready mixed you can use it as is.

if the cooling has been neglected worth emptying then filling and flushing first

1 - 20 of 20 Posts