Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we were on our way to Inverness from the south east, pulled into a service station and changed drivers.

As we carried on down the slip to rejoin the motorway the car goes into limp mode.

The faults on the machine were

P0087
P0093
P1113
P0405

managed to get her started and she was smoking heavily white from the exhaust and it smelt of unburnt diesel. We tried again to carry on our journey but the same thing happened. We eventually got recovered to the inlaws in Inverness.

I changed the fuel filter (start with the simple things) this morning, she started again, i ran her down the road and put her under load and she was kicking out white smoke again and smelling of unburnt diesel and made a ticking noise and rough idel.

She lost power and again it went into limp mode and the following codes came up

P0087
P0093

Now she wont start and im looking where to go next?

Im getting little help from the AA and most local garages are either shut or are unhelpful and I need to get back to Kent Thursday - yes 600 miles away.

Any offers of help or what the next thing to attempt, would be much appreciated.

TIA

·
5,011 Posts
Reliable406 is in Scotland somewhere(yea i realise its a big place:nod:) but he's very clever and may be able to help you, just looked and he's in Falkirk which is about 150 miles south of you. Right direction but a fair way off

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reliable406 is in Scotland somewhere(yea i realise its a big place:nod:) but he's very clever and may be able to help you, just looked and he's in Falkirk which is about 150 miles south of you. Right direction but a fair way off
Thanks for your suggestion, but that's about 3 hours from where we are! I wouldn't even be able to get the car their in its current condition :nono:

·
5,011 Posts
yea i realised after i'd posted and checked the locations

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked the oil and found some numpty has overfilled the engine. Ive just drained off over a litre of oil - that might explain the white smoke, but not why it drove over 400 miles before throwing a hissy fit.

Now just trying to get the car started again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Was it overfilled or was it diesly smelling/feeling ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The oil was definitely over filled by a considerable amount.

This morning when i changed the fuel filter I could smell diesel. Maybe the diesel smell was the remnants of changing the filter!

Now it smells more like oil coming from the exhaust when i try to start the car and its bellowing white smoke from the exhaust and is being a pig to start, so much so that ive just flattened the battery :eek:

Also noticed a small puddle around injector No 1 and ive been told that when the car went into the garage to have the cam belt done earlier this year it was recommended to clean the injector as it was chuffing.

Do i need to clean any other pipes to get rid of the excess oil?

BTW this isnt my car but im riding in it

·
Registered
24 Posts
from your description i would say injector seals, when the go they either have a little pool of fuel around the injector, let fuel into the bore overfuelling the cylinder and excess fuel ends up in sump and raises oil level, or the can make a chuffing noise as escaping exhaust gas gets past the seals, if it is that also get an oil and filter change at the same time as your oil is now knackered, best of luck with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from your description i would say injector seals, when the go they either have a little pool of fuel around the injector, let fuel into the bore overfuelling the cylinder and excess fuel ends up in sump and raises oil level, or the can make a chuffing noise as escaping exhaust gas gets past the seals, if it is that also get an oil and filter change at the same time as your oil is now knackered, best of luck with it.
The description you've given matches all of my symptoms. Off to Peugeots Inverness to get the injector seals etc, will let you know the outcome. Really hoping the injector doesn't prove to be a pig to remove.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Injector seals are there to seal the injector in the head they DO NOT leak diesel into the bores don't waste time doing them.

If your engine has too much oil then there are 2 reasons

1 someone overfilled it and if it was overfilled it would have to have been done recently have you filled it recently ?

2 and much more liklely you have a leaky injector leaking fuel INTERNALLY into the cylinder and it is washing down the bores and ending up mixed with the oil

You CANNOT see this leak as betty has already hinted at check the oil is it really just oil !!

The smoke you are getting may be oil getting drawn in through the turbo seals due to the overfull sump

You do not say what engine but if a 1.6 turbo gets my vote remove intake pipe and check shaft for play.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Injector seals are there to seal the injector in the head they DO NOT leak diesel into the bores don't waste time doing them.

If your engine has too much oil then there are 2 reasons

1 someone overfilled it and if it was overfilled it would have to have been done recently have you filled it recently ?

2 and much more liklely you have a leaky injector leaking fuel INTERNALLY into the cylinder and it is washing down the bores and ending up mixed with the oil

You CANNOT see this leak as betty has already hinted at check the oil is it really just oil !!

The smoke you are getting may be oil getting drawn in through the turbo seals due to the overfull sump

You do not say what engine but if a 1.6 turbo gets my vote remove intake pipe and check shaft for play.
Its a 1.6 with no DPF

This is where ive got to so far

The injectors seals definitely needed doing, as the amount of carbon deposits around the injectors 1 and 3 was terrible. I've managed to get at injector 3 clean it a replace the seals - the copper seal was completely out of shape. a missing a good few mill.

The 2 plastic lugs that slot into the grooves in the injector have perished - can these be replaced?

Injector 1 is proving difficult to remove and I plan to have another go tomorrow when its light.

I dont have a haynes and im doing this blind - where is the turbo/intake pipe located?

Are you suggesting the turbo is duff as well as a leaky injector?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Yes the high oil level would prevent oil returning to the sump from the drain side of the turbo this means the oil looks for another route to escape and the only other route is through the seals and into the intake and exhaust causing whiteish smoke

Remove the air intake at the turbo it is easy to get to on a 1.6 and try to move the turbo internals with your fingers

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Thinking about this some more you say its a 1.6 with no DPF has it been gutted and remapped properly as if not the regens may still be happening and firing extra fuel in this could explain the high oil content as the diesel just goes down the bores and ends in the sump !!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thinking about this some more you say its a 1.6 with no DPF has it been gutted and remapped properly as if not the regens may still be happening and firing extra fuel in this could explain the high oil content as the diesel just goes down the bores and ends in the sump !!
Now as this isnt my car ive been told its not got a DPF - whats the easiest way to tell?

And the car hasn't been remapped and is still a bog standard 90 bhp.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
I was under the impression ALL 1.6s have a DPF check the turbo before doing any more as you do not know the history of the car and a bad DPF removal can make turbos spool up more than they should wearing them out even quicker !!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Remove the air intake at the turbo it is easy to get to on a 1.6 and try to move the turbo internals with your fingers
Just worked out where the turbo is located - There is oil around the air intake on the turbo, although turbo internals move and there is no play in the shaft

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Well that might be good news then :)

once you have sealed the injectors run it with the intake hose off and make sure the turbo is turning ok with engine running could be the oil has leaked past the seals and this is now burning off i'm assuming you have drained to correct level now.

If this is the case it will take a few runs to fully burn it off hopefully that will get you mobile again BUT the reason for the high oil level will need to be found I guarantee its NOT the injector seals causing it :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BUT the reason for the high oil level will need to be found I guarantee its NOT the injector seals causing it :)
So besides leaking injectors what else would cause the fuel to dump into the sump?

What are those 2 lugs called that slot into the grooves on the injectors and keep them in place? - mine have perished

Many Thanks for you help, its rubbish being so far from home with no mechanics working due to the holidays, using the next door neighbours (that i don't even know) socket set. I just want to get the car running and get it home.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
It may well be leaking injectors BUT they leak INTO the cylinder not out the top its compression that is leaking out the top this in itself is not a major issue

Im not sure what you mean by the lugs are you talking about the clamping bolts themselves or some other seal on the injector

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im not sure what you mean by the lugs are you talking about the clamping bolts themselves or some other seal on the injector
This post has a picture of the injector - near the top of the injector it has a rectangular recess cut into it, there are actually 2 (1 on each side) but the picture only shows 1.

Its the piece of plastic that fits into that recess of the injector that im after - this plastic helps locate the injector into the chamber (the piece of plastic im after isnt shown in the picture)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts