Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well! My thus far faultless 307 has disgraced itself today. Bit of background first though, it went in to the Peugeot main dealer today to have the USB box/iPod kit installed, and there was no probs, and nice to have the iPod playing too :D Few hours later I poped down to the shop in it and there was no power assistance. Not only that, when I drove it home it felt to me as though the steering was fighting me as the car wanted to wonder all over the place and then went from heavy to really heavy! I've checked the level and it was almost at the very top, so I bled the system and it dropped to around 1/4 inch above maximum. I left the car for approx. 20 mins and then started it up and the power assistance came back. Feeling relieved, I went round the block in it, and with smooth actions on the wheel, it assisted nicely, but if I pulled the wheel over hard, it was initially heavy, then relinquished grip. Drove it just and assistance is totally dead.

Other things to bear in mind, car has no engine tray. It fell off approx. 3 weeks ago. New one is on order. The drivers headlight has been out recently, but the earthing point is clean.

Car is a 56 plate 1.6 HDi 110 with 129k on the clock. Also, there is a rattling noise coming from the drive belt tensioner. Don't know if that could be causing it to slip and thus alternator isn't charging battery, but across the terminals I'm getting 14.4v, and the battery isn't very old. Any ideas welcome? :thumb:

·
Registered
315 Posts
there have been recalls re. water ingress to the pump connector- have they been carried out? Best pull and check the plug for corrosion.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yeah forgot to mention the recall has been done and no corrosion found, but that was long ago and before I bought it, would the lack of engine tray contribute to more dirt around the plugs? Thanks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump bump!
Checked the connections on the bottom of the pump with no joy. Still as clean as they were when they left the factory.

Now, could someone please tell me where this 70A main fuse and steering switch is? Doubt it's the fuse, cos the pump has worked since it died, though admittedly, not for very long. Any suggestions would be nice, even just an explination of how the system works, and any other components to check? Can't afford a stealer visit for this, and I can't continue to drive the car around like this.

Please please please please please can anyone help??? :crutches:

D

·
0 Posts
Get a diagnostic check done on the powersteering ecu. If you cannot dialogue with it, you'll need a new pump unit (after checking powersupplies that is) I have a good few fitted in last few years. They are not without a few problems.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all OK folks, panic over, it now works again. Joke is, I don't know what I've done, but playing with the fuse (which I found! Nobody told me the fusebox came out!) and the connections then hitting the pump in anger has bought it back to life :nod: Don't know for how long, but 60 miles in and no loss of assistance! Yey :meditate:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mystery power steering problem has returned!!!!

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd dig this one up first. The situation is this:-

The steering would sometimes momenterally switch off mid corner (thats what it felt like anyway) but it totally died as mentioned before. The pump connections are clean, the level is inch overfull and bleeding produces no foaming. All recalls for car are up to date, I checked with Pug, no outstanding work needed. After wiggling the fuse in desperation, the problem went away.

I later inspected the fuse and found it looked a bit melted and bent, so I turned it upside down and the problem hasn't reoccoured since.

That is, until today!!! Started car and steering is dead. Looked at fuse connections and there is only 1 thick red wire on fuse box. Top connection has no pick up and no wire, only 1 for the fuse, not 2. Bleeding still isn't working. I've whipped the brand new battery off my Dads C5 and the steering still doesn't work with that on it???

I've seen similar problems in the 407 section, but bleeding and overfilling seems to help, but mine is already overfull and no bleeding is working.

Any advice appreciated :thumb: Pretty please :bow:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem on my Peugeot Partner.
First time it happened I had just replaced the battery and lost all power steering. Took it to mechanics and they said it was probably the pump and gave all sorts of very expensive scenarios. Including a few hours labour to diagnose the fault. Topped up the fluid. Disconnected battery and reconnected a few times. It suddenly came right 2 days later.
Second time I was towing a trailer. I disconnected the trailer power supply when the car was idling and later the same day lost the power steering.
After puzzling with Google for a while looks like the pump is electric and seems to be effected by power changes.

I opened the fuse box in the engine bay. I removed, checked and reinstalled every fuse (none were blown) and then started the engine. Gave it a good revving and the power steering is working 100%.

Best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts