Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

New to the forum and have just got myself an 04 2.0 HDI estate 110. Done 105K and never had a clutch or flywheel in as far as I know. Like the car apart from this issue.

Noticed a bit of a squeak/squeal on the test drive when releasing the clutch and changing up from 1st to 2nd and 3rd. Thought this was just the aux belt tensioner but sadly it looks as though this is clutch or DMF related. The engine also runs on slightly when switched off. Guess I really should have walked away but liked the car and the private seller was very honest.

Anyway, looks like solid flywheel and new clutch is the way to go. Any of you guys replaced these yourselves? What sort of time we looking out to get the box out? I'd be working off axle stands only, no pit or ramps.

I'm fairly handy with the spanners, did the cam belt last week and done clutches, gearboxes and head gaskets etc in the past although not on anything this big/modern.

Alternatively, what do you expect this to cost at a garage. Loathe to pay someone when I can do it myself but don't have much time these days. I see clutch and solid flywheel kit is £280 ish from a well known auction site. £200 labour sound about right, approx £500 all in????

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
673 Posts
Guys

Anyway, looks like solid flywheel and new clutch is the way to go.

I'm fairly handy with the spanners, did the cam belt last week and done clutches, gearboxes and head gaskets etc in the past although not on anything this big/modern.

Loathe to pay someone when I can do it myself. I see clutch and solid flywheel kit is £280 ish from a well known auction site. :lol:

Cheers

Craig
You pretty much answered your own post.....:thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the question I was asking in a rather covoluted fashion was how much to expect to pay for labour on this job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys

New to the forum and have just got myself an 04 2.0 HDI estate 110. Done 105K and never had a clutch or flywheel in as far as I know. Like the car apart from this issue.

Noticed a bit of a squeak/squeal on the test drive when releasing the clutch and changing up from 1st to 2nd and 3rd. Thought this was just the aux belt tensioner but sadly it looks as though this is clutch or DMF related. The engine also runs on slightly when switched off. Guess I really should have walked away but liked the car and the private seller was very honest.

Anyway, looks like solid flywheel and new clutch is the way to go. Any of you guys replaced these yourselves? What sort of time we looking out to get the box out? I'd be working off axle stands only, no pit or ramps.

Alternatively, what do you expect this to cost at a garage. Loathe to pay someone when I can do it myself but don't have much time these days. I see clutch and solid flywheel kit is £280 ish from a well known auction site. £200 labour sound about right, approx £500 all in????

Cheers

Craig
Originally Posted by paulduminy
Whenever i apply clutch i have a screeching noise from the front and it doesn't matter if the car is on the move or not. This is not just happening when i start but happens all the time. I was told this is the thrust bearing, will this be coverded by my 5 year warranty?:thumb:. ADAC (german AA) told me it was the thrust bearing, but peugeot garage said I need a new clutch witch is not under warranty. Do you think they are pulling a fast one to get out of doing it for free?:nono:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Peturley

I assume from your post you are suggesting this could be a release bearing issue?

I think regardless of the actual fault, a complete clutch kit and new flywheel is the only way to go. It's the cost of labour on this job that would be a huge proportion of overall cost so would always replace the lot.

J

·
0 Posts
Shop around, my first quotes for labour were £400/500 and after a few other places were quoted I went to a lad who has a citroen/peugeot mechanic working for him, and had no work on at the time, so I asked him if he could do it cheap and he did the solid conversion labour for £120 :D

bought the kit for £285 which wasn't the cheapest but it was deffo right (valeo 4p) as I've bought a clutch off ebay which said it was correct on the listing, but ended up being for a Berlingo (not the 306 I had at the time...)

anyway yea, £120, beat that for labour on a complete solid clutch conversion kit being fitted. :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its been 5 months and another 3000 miles and it's still hanging on....just. I've actually stopped using the car since I started it the other day when it sounded like an absolute bag of spanners, horrid metallic noise from the clutch.

Solid flywheel and clutch kit ordered, actually got the parts directly from Peugeot as the full kit for 260 quid delivered to the door. Just got to do it now.....

So, to all who have done this job themselves, how long approximately? I'm working without a ramp unfortunately so lying on the ground outside, knew I should have done this in August when it was warm! Its also fecking cold riding my motorbike to work.

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To answer my own question.....it's a shite job!

Also needed new clutch fork as it was worn out, guide bush and a pair of drive shaft seals. Removing the nuts for the intermediate bearing on the long driveshaft is an absolute arse. Didn't need to drop subframe although this does involve manually moving the gearbox out/in, no room for trolley jack until it's time to slide it back on.

Got to be said though that it was worth all the effort, clutch is now light as a feather and feels great. No juddering or squeaking any longer, just got to sort all the other things that have broken whilst its been off the road including fuel leak and noisy tensioner on aux belt. Bloody Peugeot!

·
Registered
40 Posts
buy some car ramps

Guys

do you relly need to change the clutch? if only a release bearing it may go on for years , if you do need to change the clutch assy get some car ramps they are a lot safer than stands.:thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
do you relly need to change the clutch? if only a release bearing it may go on for years , if you do need to change the clutch assy get some car ramps they are a lot safer than stands.:thumb:
Not sure about your post here David.

The clutch itself was OK but the issue was with the dual mass flywheel which was goosed. I replaced the flywheel with a solid one which meant I needed a new clutch friction and pressure plate (different fitment). The bearing was also ok but if I was ever removing a gearbox I'd replace the whole lot, not really worth leaving it due to the effort involved removing the box. Actually the only things worn out were the flywheel and clutch fork where the ball had worn through the plastic shim. The guide bush had some wear but probably would have been reuseable, again not worth leaving it in my opinion.

Oh and ramps not much use when the wheels have to come off :) unless you mean 2/4 post ramps which I dont have access to??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts