Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls, joined up hoping for a few fresh ideas as I am stumped... 2005 1.4 petrol unsure of model off the top of my head but it's an 8v 70K

Temp gauge sits at 70 or just below in normal driving conditions. In traffic it rises to just above 90 and then the fan kicks in, I've already had to clean up the pins on the relay to get that working! If I pull up in car park for five ten minutes come back temp gauge is around 90 but drops to its "normal" level of 70 or below after a few mins of driving. The heaters blow warm but not hot.

Here's what I've done so far...
New temp sensor
New thermostat
New water pump (done with cambelt)
Flushed the rad through (was clean)
New coolant
Checked for flow from rad to expansion tank via thin pipe connecting the two

I am at a loss now to be honest, it's only a cheap run about for me but I do want to prolong the life of the beast as long as possible and the engine smells hot when I give it some (not ragging it but up to 3.5K ish if late for work, you know how it is)

Thoughts/ideas please people
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Nothing wrong at 90 degC. The engine only operates efficiently at that level, and the thermostat should ensure that it is reached and held. If it is not held, it sounds like the thermostat is not capable of closing sufficiently. Even new thermostats can be defective. A temporary rise of temperature in the car park is not abnormal - it is caused by a reduction of cooling, as the pump is not circulating water when the engine is off.

If your heater output is not impressive, try bleeding it. If that does not help, the heater matrix may be partially blocked with (say) leaf debris.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts