Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All, I know there is a sticky thread on this subject but I just wanted you all to know how potentially dangerous this fault could be be. I am a proud owner of a 407 2.0 HDi SE all beit only 2 weeks as of yesterday (Wed 13/04/10). I have had to address a number of issues since becoming owner of this car. However on Monday I suffered my most worrying problem by far. I was returning home from work on Monday evening travelling down the M58 near Liverpool heading towards the M6. About half way along the M58 I suffered what could only be described as a slight drift and shift of the steering and front end the steering felt extremely light but quickly the feeling disappeared as quickly as it came. If anyone knows the M58 at rush the M6 junction and roundabout can become a bottle neck for traffic and consequently backed up in 2 miles of standing traffic after 30 minutes of nose to tail traffic jams I was approxiamately 100 yards form the end of the Motorway and I felt steering go unresponsive and loose. Having thought of the Sticky on this forum about the potentially dangerous Ball joint issue I knew instinctively that I thought I had just lost the passenger side Balljoint. I indicated and managed to pull over onto the hard shoulder crawling at 2mph.
When I jumped out I noticed that my drivers wheel was all ok. However the passenger side wheel was very slightly at an angle kicking out slightly at the bottom. On my hands and knees under the car I checked the lower Ball Joint and yes it had moved and the bolts holding it together were not there.
If I had been travelling at speed and not crawling in traffic I hate to think what could of happened I think I was very very lucky man indeed not to have suffered any major damage and the potential multi car pile up that could possibly of happened if I had not known about the problem. The cars in the garage for the ball joint to be replaced. Peugeot knowing the they have a serious weak point and Safety aspect on the 407 range this I would of thought that this should be a recall job. Expensive I agree to retro fit new Balljoint and Hub assemblies but this issue is very serious. My mechanic has just been in touch with Peugeot to obtain a new part before he could ask for the part the guy in spares said Balljoint before my mechanic friend had said anything. Mmmm there you go my point exactly......................................

1 - 1 of 1 Posts