Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 modell 2.0L Petrol manual transmission 307. And as what seems like many peugeot owners suffer from i'm getting a check engine light and anti-pollution fault.

The car seems to be running fine, although im pretty sure fuel consumption is up. And while its running in neutral it can start to shake, and i get a little bit of white smoke from the exhaust while throttling, though not a lot.

I bought an OBDII reader and its giving me the error codes:
P0170 - Powertrain - Fuel Trim (Bank 1).
P1621 - Powertrain

I have basically no experience with these kinds of things, but being cheap i want to avoid going to a mechanic, and try to fix my own problems.
Having read multiple threads with the same sort of issues im still lost.

Any useful hints or tips?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im in Narvik, Norway. Doubt anyone besides the peugeot mechanic has pp2k gear...

I've talked to my cousin who's a mechanic, he seems to think its the front lambda sensor thats causing the issue.
So im considering just caving and bringing it in to a mechanic to swap it out.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
You can buy the discs on the ebay and load them onto a laptop.
Guessing the problem is the expensive way to solve a defect.
Really for the effects you are getting I would wait to see if the defect gets worse before spending your hard earned cash.

·
2,490 Posts
Hi...you may just have a misfire...so remove the spark plugs, check the plugs tips for discolouration,any fuel filter history..check injector plugs/wiring..coil pack wiring/plugs for water ingress...reading faults with planet will reveal the problem..but as a start...try the basics first

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have a 2002 modell 2.0L Petrol manual transmission 307. And as what seems like many peugeot owners suffer from i'm getting a check engine light and anti-pollution fault.

The car seems to be running fine, although im pretty sure fuel consumption is up. And while its running in neutral it can start to shake, and i get a little bit of white smoke from the exhaust while throttling, though not a lot.

I bought an OBDII reader and its giving me the error codes:
P0170 - Powertrain - Fuel Trim (Bank 1).
P1621 - Powertrain

I have basically no experience with these kinds of things, but being cheap i want to avoid going to a mechanic, and try to fix my own problems.
Having read multiple threads with the same sort of issues im still lost.

Any useful hints or tips?
P16xx codes refer to the computer and auxiliary outputs, and the P1621 code is described as "Control module Long term memory performance / Immobiliser code words Not matched".

I would suggest an auto-electrician, as this sounds more than a mechanical fault.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice so far!

A small update, I found a plug-in for the obd2 reader software I use. Which showed 0 voltage from the O2 sensors.
So looks like it's defective lambda sensors or faulty wiring. Fuses looks ok.

Since both the sensors seems to be under the car on the 2l engine I will probably have to take it to a mechanic

·
Registered
14,634 Posts
I would not be so hasty as handheld devices rarely read peugeots accurately and the RFN engines are prone to missfires leading to fuel trim and lambda codes where the probes are fine its the injectors that are the real issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car doesn't misfire, though it shakes when running cold in neutral.
The 2 mechanics we've talked to think it's lambda or airflow sensor.
Could it still be spark plugs and/or fuel injectors?

I took a 253km trip this Friday and the car used about 20l of petrol. So the fuel consumption is not as bad as I thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A delayed small update.

I brought the car to a peugeot dealer/mechanic and paid a hefty sum for them to fault search.

They couldn't figure out what caused the error...
But they deleted the error code and it hasn't come back since. I told them i thought it could be the O2 sensors and they thought so as well after i told them, and offered to change them for an even heftier sum, which i declined.
Gonna change them myself with the help of a mechanic friend.

·
Registered
695 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts