1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
angry rant at Peugeot, as car immobilises due to radio fault

HELLo... 307 2.0 HDi -51- plate

Hope you can calm me down/explain, but I doubt it:

I though I fried my BSI/ECU yesterday after accidentally shorting the radio mains supply.

Wipers wouldn't turn off on ignition, starter motor turns but engine doesn't start, none of the front lights work, remote central locking doesn't work.. All symptoms facing £500 from Peugeot

It turns out it was just a blown RADIO fuse (#11), which for some reason (why Peugeot why!?) had MFD, Steering wheel controls (stalks) and even automatic gearbox (if I had one) wired to the same fuse!

So if you fiddle with radio, or radio becomes faulty, or there is water damage, or somebody maybe steals it and, as a result, radio fuse goes, then immobiliser kicks in, as BSI decides you obviously should not drive anywhere without a radio! (and other bits of "same importance", such as operational stalks/MFD/automatic gearbox...) and your car wouldn't start any more.

Due to the symptoms, the fusebox was the last thing I checked, because even when I though I've blown a fuse, I was convinced BSI is fried notwithstandingly, whether I replace the fuse or not (this sane logic turned out not to work in the end)

Hope you'll all be aware and check -all- the fuses before booking your car in (as some window washer gone fuse might start opening your boot...) I wonder how many £££ were made for changing a fuse by those professionals..

Don't get me wrong, I know that it is possible to actually fry BSI just by jumpstarting a 307, or in many other ways, but my case was over the top.

Cheers and take care! 307 - a great car in any other aspect though..
-- 
sledge

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radio is factory wired to the same fuse as all the other however critical components:

from http://www.peugeotlogic.com/fuses/fuses307/307fuse1.htm:

F11 15A +BB-2 Radio RB, RD,RT; Multifunction screen B; CV 00; Automatic transmission

Where CV 00 stands for steering wheel stalk controls (wipers and lights)

Just take the fuse 11 out and BSI will kick the immobiliser in straight away

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was one of those days I managed to short it, and the outcome leaving me gob-smacked and deferring radio fuse checking as last resort.

Let's not change the subject, the point is made: your radio fuse blows up in a middle of nowhere, and if you haven't got spare ones -> AA and a bill thanks to ingenious fuse wiring right there..

Unless you start experimenting which other less-critical fuse to reuse, hoping BSI won't decide to immobilise you on those either

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think you are looking at it the wrong way, the techs probably thought, lets connect the radio to this fuse, if it blows, the owner probably wont want to listen to radio anyway (its most unlikely the radio blows a fuse in the middle of the road unless you stick your fingers where they don't belong :whistle:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the argument I wanted to hear, Holt! :)

So the techs' strategy is: group non critical components into same fuses with with critical components, relying on the low probability of non-critical components blowing that fuse wouldn't take the car out.

Sounds sane, but why wouldn't one simply group non-critical instruments into several separate fuses?

My mechanic supported me, saying: if you got a French car and immobiliser kicked in, it will either be a blown BSI, or a nonsense problem. They once had a Renault where everything was on one main fuse, and faulty AC kept blowing it, and car wouldn't start. Now in Northern Countries AC is truly an optional thing.

Cheers! A nice discussion brewed here :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts