Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks...

I am wondering if anyone know what the angle of clearance is for this car?

the reason i am asking is i am looking to buy some ramps, but don't want to buy ones that are too steep and end up knacking the bumper on the car also to give decent ground to car clearance so that i can get underneath::rolleyes: and do my own oil changes and grease my exhaust, to stop the stupid sharp squeek (when changing gears and taking foot of pedel).:thumb:

thanks in advance :thumb:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think you're going to be lucky finding a set of ramps. The best bet is see if anyone here has a 307 and ramps and get the make or start thinking of a couple of good hydaulic jacks and axel stands.

I Have a 407 and my set of ramps are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard: the nose hits them well before the tyres get a sniff.

Another problem (when I had a Volvo) was that when the car approached them, the sodding thing would push the ramps forward. So you want some way of stopping them going forwards - bricks half set in concrete is good.

To work out the angle, get a length of wood and, with the wheels dead ahead, shove it against the bottom of the tyre. At the front of the car, see how far you can raise the wood. Mark the point on the bumper where it touches. Measure the distance from the centre point where the tyre touches the ground to the point below this point on the bumper. Call that 'X'

Now measure the height of the point at the front (X) from the ground. Subtract 3 cm*. Call that 'Y'

Y/X = tangent of the angle. Go to http://easycalculation.com/trigonometry/triangle-angles.php and do the calculation to work out the angle...

*You subtract 3cm because, when the car comes down off the ramp, the body will bounce down.

Do the same at the rear - take the smaller angle of the 2 measurements and that is the mximum angle of the ramp.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking that it will be kinda difficult to get a pair of ramps...looks like im going to go for the axel stands....already have a hydaulic 2 tonne jack.

thanks for the info and advice purejoe:thumb:

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
PureJoe said:
I think you're going to be lucky finding a set of ramps. The best bet is see if anyone here has a 307 and ramps and get the make or start thinking of a couple of good hydaulic jacks and axel stands.

I Have a 407 and my set of ramps are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard: the nose hits them well before the tyres get a sniff.

Another problem (when I had a Volvo) was that when the car approached them, the sodding thing would push the ramps forward. So you want some way of stopping them going forwards - bricks half set in concrete is good.

To work out the angle, get a length of wood and, with the wheels dead ahead, shove it against the bottom of the tyre. At the front of the car, see how far you can raise the wood. Mark the point on the bumper where it touches. Measure the distance from the centre point where the tyre touches the ground to the point below this point on the bumper. Call that 'X'

Now measure the height of the point at the front (X) from the ground. Subtract 3 cm*. Call that 'Y'

Y/X = tangent of the angle. Go to http://easycalculation.com/trigonometry/triangle-angles.php and do the calculation to work out the angle...

*You subtract 3cm because, when the car comes down off the ramp, the body will bounce down.

Do the same at the rear - take the smaller angle of the 2 measurements and that is the mximum angle of the ramp.
Bloody hell Joe i take it you`re not a lolly pop man.:lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keeping ramps in place

I know its a little late to be responding to PureJoe's posting on 22 August but I'm new to this forum and as I'm reading through as many recent posts as I can I've only just seen this one.

Joe said; "Another problem (when I had a Volvo) was that when the car approached them, the sodding thing would push the ramps forward. So you want some way of stopping them going forwards - bricks half set in concrete is good."

A simple tip is to securely attach a webbing strap to the top of the ramp so that it runs down the incline and extends a yard or in front. As you drive over the webbing and onto the ramp beneath it the tyres grip on the webbing effectively pulling the ramp under the wheel and preventing it from flying out from under the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts