·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi,

I installed one of these units at the weekend, price had dipped below £200 presumably due to currency fluctuation but also had a few AliExpress 'coupons' to use. Looking for a lower cost solution than the full RCC or NAC transplant, not only because I am cheap (only joking..) but also our 308SW is a workhorse so too not bothered about any value add or keeping with original parts etc. It should be noted however though that the system uses existing screen etc. and that you can return to original very easily as unit just piggybacks and no original parts are removed or destroyed during installation.

Delivery was around 4-5 days from ordering including a weekend. DHL fees were paid online and only £4. Seller very responsive to questions before, during and after install.

Of course, no idea of longevity or reliability but all positive so far and as we know, any electronics are capable of failing quickly or lasting 'forever'. Ref my 2017 3008 who's NAC unit failed from new (Continental head unit I believe) and spent 6 weeks in the workshop to replace (ahhh, that new car feeling).

Anyway, you pay your money and take your chance. I am not here to advocate any particular approach to a SMEG+ upgrade but I know there may be some curiosity around these units as they provide an alternative upgrade path so happy to 'take one for the team' as it were....

So, dash disassembled according to the guidance freely available here & YouTube etc. Trim tools help here. Screen/vent panel only briefly removed to change out the LVDS connection at rear of screen.

IMG_20200808_100520.jpg

Usual rats nest of cabling but plenty of room at the rear of SMEG+ unit, just make sure no cables trapped though there is a rubber post on the back of the SMEG+ to maintain a void. Unit piggybacks on the Quadlock & LVDS connectors on the SMEG+ unit. All other connectors stay as they are except for any removal to improve accessibility during install or arrangement of cables.

Interface provides various options for 360° cameras, video & aux in etc. I did not use these (happy to use existing aux & rev camera) so was able to discard one of the cables supplied.

I routed the 2 primary USB cables (USB1 for AA & CP wired connection, USB2 for media) to the steering wheel cubby by following and zip tying to the wiring for the second Peugeot USB port (the pre-cost cutting one...). Cut out the back of the trim panel to accept connectors. Can't see it when in situ.

IMG_20200808_100558.jpg IMG_20200808_112224.jpg

Started to tidy up

IMG_20200808_101107.jpg IMG_20200808_103653.jpg

I held unit in place with velcro pads and placed foam strip on any potential contact points to avoid rattles. Took care that no vents on either SMEG+ or Carplay unit were blocked during placement. As an aside, I noticed that the SMEG+ unit was HOT when I removed it initially, even after the car had been off for a while, surprised it's lasted 5 years without any issue...

All working (...I think, as not tested everything yet).

IMG_20200808_105637.jpg IMG_20200808_105522.jpg IMG_20200808_105535.jpg

Android Auto working wired also tested on an iPhone and Carplay works both wired & wireless. Mirror link also functioning.

With regard to functionality you switch to unit using a long press of the 'list' button on steering wheel (think there is also a hotspot on top left of touchscreen) after ensuring SMEG+ input is on aux otherwise you will still be hearing whatever was on the SMEG+ and not output from the unit. Of course parking sensors can still be heard even when unit is activated as can speedcamera warnings from SMEG+ (as well as Google Maps & Waze own warnings...)

Within the factory settings there are various options including 3rd party 360° or reversing/front cameras or just use OE camera. When switching to reverse unit instantly changes to OE camera, no need to switch manually.

Google Assistant works well for nav functions, changing phone/USB media tracks, internet radio etc. Google Maps and Waze run smoothly, Nav volume can be adjusted on the fly using steering wheel controls during spoken instructions as per usual. Music quality was good whether streaming or USB.

Not got AA working wirelessly yet but I believe it is very phone sensitive, Samsung phones standing the best chance apparently. Currently in conversation with a few of the guys who have installed this unit via YouTube comments etc., I'm sure one of us will have a breakthrough at some point.

Anyway, hope this will be of some use. Happy to answer any installation or functionality questions based on my extensive 2 days use ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing, thank you so much I'm ordering it right now!
Thanks for the elaborate feedback, you helped me and others a lot :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Amazing, thank you so much I'm ordering it right now!
Thanks for the elaborate feedback, you helped me and others a lot :)
Glad to be of help (y)

Let me know if you have any issues and I will try to assist as best I can but as I say vendor was responsive to questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With regard to functionality you switch to unit using a long press of the 'list' button on steering wheel (think there is also a hotspot on top left of touchscreen) after ensuring SMEG+ input is on aux otherwise you will still be hearing whatever was on the SMEG+ and not output from the unit.
Did you get sound from the interface throough the car's AUX-input? On my car the AUX is greyed out and I read on youtube that others didn't get sound from the aux at all. Seller has agreed to send a seperate cable. Did your interface give sound directly?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I must be lucky, my interface is currently giving sound from the SMEG+ aux directly. Maybe this cable is a weak point, like you say a couple of guys I have spoken to via Youtube have been sent new cables.

Maybe I should ask vendor for one just in case...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just noticed your username, I think we have spoken on Youtube ;)

Regarding the AUX-in, does this work for you in 'normal use' with 3.5mm jack (old-school I know...). I have read on the forum that AUX may need something plugged in to it to be selectable in menu and also that it can conflict with Bluetooth so it will only show as selectable if Bluetooth off?

I guess new cable may either give dummy input to AUX or avoid the conflict by some other mechanism??

Doesn't explain why mine is working though (as I have nothing plugged in AUX nor deactivated Bluetooth), unless vendor including updated cable now?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just been out to car on lunch break, it's sooo hot today - need to get that AC fixed! Might be tempted to fit that new condenser this weekend....

First thing I did was go to select audio source. Horror! - noticed my AUX blanked out 😢

Connected phone to AA, went back into audio sources and it was selectable (y)

IMG_20200812_122832.jpg

Maybe that's what I've been doing, starting Carplay unit thinking oops, I've forgotten to select AUX, going back into SMEG+ and then the AUX has 'always' been there to select?

Possibly then, if you try to select source before switching to Carplay unit and/or with no phone connected/AA running it is blanked out which kind of holds with the theory AUX needs to be under input to show as selectable?

As an additional note, having bluetooth on or off did not appear to make any difference to AUX availability in this case.

Reactions: holejos

·
Registered
5 Posts
(Yes, its me from youtube-discussion! Small world. )

This is great news! I think this might be the reason. I will check this immediately after work:)
Nope - didn't work when AA was running in my car. Both USB and AUX is grey'd out. I had to physically connect AUX cable between phone and car to make it work.. Very frustrating. Hopefully the new cable will avoid that

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry, can't remember my exact config on back of SMEG+, it was pretty busy back there though. Have you got OE reverse camera, if not, maybe it's for that? I'm sure there are many on here familiar with the functionality of the various connectors relative to vehicle configs.

Disappointing it's still not working, hopefully the new cable will resolve this issue permanently. I will have another play around after I get home from work, I'm sure there must be a standard step-wise approach to get this to work as you are able to do it via cable connection. Maybe vendor can confirm if he has updated cables on newer units purchased in the last couple of weeks. That may explain our difference in fortunes unless our car configs are different enough to have an influence?

In advance of that, is your USB mode set to media transfer (MTP) rather than charge only, I know that's given me issues in itself previously when setting this up. I can't set a default USB config on my phone for some reason (probably broken...) so keep having to select it each time I connect via USB but can see how it may default to another USB mode which doesn't give you that AUX trigger. If you are in developer mode you should be able to set your default USB connection protocol. Can't think of anything else to suggest at the minute without going hands-on again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, my first post from Mexico.

I ordered mine, but I have a question, do I need to update SMEG version and then install connect the unit?.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello everyone, my first post from Mexico.

I ordered mine, but I have a question, do I need to update SMEG version and then install connect the unit?.
Hi, no you don't need to update SMEG before installation, this unit functions independently of the SMEG software.

Reactions: Jae Hoon

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received the HU last week. I will try to install during next weekend. super excited but also nervous, never put a hand on internal cables and wirings.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I received the HU last week. I will try to install during next weekend. super excited but also nervous, never put a hand on internal cables and wirings.
It is a fairly easy install as all connectors piggyback there is no need to change or destroy any wiring so you can put back to original easily.

Just take your time when removing trim to avoid damage and make sure your wiring is tidy and no vents are blocked. It should not take any longer than a morning or afternoon to complete.

Of course please remember to test functionality before reassembly ;)

I am happy to answer any questions you have but of course this may not be in real time when you are in the middle of the job.

There have been some issues reported with the SMEG AUX input showing/not showing, it still seems to be a little hit and miss and I actually pressed a 'greyed-out' AUX button yesterday and it immediately switched! I have been generally able to connect consistently though by ensuring the phone is always in USB media transfer mode not charge only etc. On my phone it requests this a couple of times before AA is connected fully unless you can make MTP the default USB mode on your phone (I can't for some reason even in developer mode, I believe it is a fault on my particular model of phone).

Update based on further testing - your AA or Carplay will have to actually be 'playing' something - saved music, internet radio, Spotify etc. for AUX to show as the AUX needs to be under 'input'. I have wasted many a minute waiting for AUX when my AA has not actually been outputting audio at the time.

I would love to hear from other users who may have received the updated cable from the vendor to cure the unavailable/intermittent AUX issue. Is this the case or do the same USB mode/AA output criteria apply?

Oh, and when you are up and running I have found it much easier to press the Google assistance button rather than keep shouting 'Hey Google' at the car for hours on end, it seems to be much more responsive to process your request this way... Everything else working well up to now - Google/Waze Nav, Messaging, Calls, radio player, Spotify etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, today I tried to do it and I can't get it done.

I followed the steps of this video but I can't connect in the last connection step the Car play unit to rear of touch screen in the last part. The disconnected cable (white head) was already connected to CP (green head) unit you see in picture.

None of the connectors from the Car play fits...is it an error from supplier?

UPDATE: I realized the connector will be the same I disconnected...so what was the purpose to remove it from the start?

Finally this morning 🤣 made it possible to appear but no sound at all. Keep testing with Aux issue but until this moment the button shows it in grey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope - didn't work when AA was running in my car. Both USB and AUX is grey'd out. I had to physically connect AUX cable between phone and car to make it work.. Very frustrating. Hopefully the new cable will avoid that
In my case I can't connect AA + Aux output because my phone does not have 3.5mm connector. Can't think of better timing to buy a new phone 😆 or switch to iPhone

I will test with my wife's phone and connect to Aux.

Meanwhile I am considering to ask for refund and return the HU. Too many workarounds in my case.

UPDATE. Today supplier replied and confirm we need to connect the sound out to AUX following these instructions.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Anyone did this and worked please confirm. I already assembled everything so I can test it until next weekend.

I hope this works :unsure:

The middle trims are was so hard to remove it was like nightmare to me so I need lot of time and patience again

·
Registered
116 Posts
I hope the fix is successful for you.

I still seem to be reliably connecting now without any AUX cable. Unfortunately I do not have a definitive guide to do this as I now cannot recall what I have changed or tweaked within AA and phone settings over time aside from what I stated above.

Also, remember to activiate developer mode and USB debugging on your phone (Apologies if you have already done this...)

My reliable routine now seems to be start vehicle -> connect phone -> switch to Carplay unit -> establish AA connection (with music/radio output) -> return to SMEG and select AUX -> return to Carplay unit.

I guess the AUX cable fix would remove the requirement for the latter couple of steps.

Anyway, good luck. Aside from this AUX issue that seems to be common for this unit, it has performed well for me up to now. Even went as far as to subscribe to Spotify Premium for a month to see if I would use it enough in the car ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Done it as well! With the seller's fix, plus aux to usb module, it works perfect and sound is also working.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts