Peugeot Forums banner

Android Auto and Dark Mode auto switching WIP NAV / CONNECT NAV (RNEG)

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  soldier 
#1 ·
Hello All! Here is the scenario;

1) Automatic switching to Dark Mode in Android Auto or the Google Maps app directly on my Samsung Galaxy S9 (i.e. not connected to the car) works perfectly fine.
2) Forcing Dark Mode in Google Maps (i.e. setting to Dark Mode only rather than Auto) and then plugging into my car also works perfectly fine.
3) Auto switching to Dark Mode (i.e. setting Google Maps to Auto rather than Dark Mode only), does not work while plugged into the car.

I have updated to the latest firmware, and even updated to the latest maps for the car's own navigation system. Auto switching to Dark Mode in Android Auto still does not work.

I know that Android 10 is getting pushed out to newer mobile phones shortly. And this includes a new version of Android Auto that is built into the O/S rather than using the installed app. Perhaps this will help?

I also read somewhere that switching you phone to a default theme may solve such issues, but this did not help either.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

See less See more
#2 ·
I struggled for a few month with this problem, being on Android 9 and a Samsung phone. Everything started to work fine only when I switched my phone to Night Mode. I then set the Day/Night mode setting to Car-controlled, in AA's Developer settings. Now the day/night mode on any app in AA is switched automatically based on car's headlights state.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: john470fc
#7 ·
Finally go this thing working today @GDany ... here's my take on the situation.

First you need a theme that is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S9 dark mode (the theme I was using was not). You then need to enable said dark mode. It is worth noting that there are four possible dark mode settings here. Google Maps, Android Auto, Android Auto developer settings and the phone itself.

I'm not sure if the developer mode settings are actually required though? If you do not activate developer mode, I guess there is "no setting". But if you activate developer mode, there must be "a setting". Unfortunately I can no longer test this, but the reason for my thinking is that both "controlled by car" and "controlled by phone" now work. The former is controlled by the cars lighting (probably the best as this is determined by "actual light" rather than "predicted light"), the latter is controlled by the phones dawn / dusk awareness.

I'm also going to assume that this "phone" dark mode setting is no longer a requirement in Android 10, as per comment from @soldier ... So the fault is with the Android operating system! We will see when the update gets pushed out to non Google phones (Not sure which version of the Samsung Galaxy you have, but the update will only be pushed out to the S9 and above, some time in January I believe).

Anyway, many thanks to you both. You solved my problem!

#8 ·
I'm also going to assume that this "phone" dark mode setting is no longer a requirement in Android 10, as per comment from @soldier ... So the fault is with the Android operating system! We will see when the update gets pushed out to non Google phones (Not sure which version of the Samsung Galaxy you have, but the update will only be pushed out to the S9 and above, some time in January I believe).
You are right, no dark mode required in Android 10. AA is already integrated in Android 10. I didn't have to do any additional settings for automatic switching to work on both Google Maps or Waze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.