Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start waffling, let me show you what I'm trying to replicate...

This was the speedo in my old mk4 Astra. It was done by a member of the AOC forum, he's quite well known for the conversions and does a really top job.
I want to try and have a stab at this myself now. I've got to grips with some basic soldering and learning resistor values etc, but a few questions need answering before I start cracking speedos open and making a hash of things.

1 - Lets say I've installed some leds to the unit and I want to test them. Can I feed 12v into the plug/connector on the back of the speedo to light them up? If so, can anybody tell me which pins on the connector I must use?

2 - Assuming the leds have a forward voltage of 4v and I am working with the 12v vehicle supply, can I, in theory, make several parallel circuits each containing 3 leds without using a resistor?

3 - Has anyone tried this before? I don't want to go the boring plug and play twist bulbs route, I want this to be stunning and really crisp! Any tips or experiences doing this, even corrections on my basic understanding of electronics are all very welcome! Can't wait to crack on with this, got some cool ideas lined up.

Are there any members on here who have done their own total led conversions i.e window switches, heater panels etc? Let's see your work!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is why I included 'ambitious' in the thread title. Any monkey can replace a few twist fit bulbs. The picture in this thread isn't done justice during the day but it was mega bright at night. I can't remember how many exactly but I'm sure there were 40+ leds in those clocks! That's what I'm aiming for

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
This is why I included 'ambitious' in the thread title. Any monkey can replace a few twist fit bulbs. The picture in this thread isn't done justice during the day but it was mega bright at night. I can't remember how many exactly but I'm sure there were 40+ leds in those clocks! That's what I'm aiming for
We all understand the word "ambitious", thats why we are all saying "Its been done before on here by us all when we had 307`s" they don`t have twist fit bulbs in the instrument panel. :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, I thought most vehicles did have twist bulbs. It's not a 307 though, it's an Expert, and they use the same clocks they did since the mid 90s...will these want replacement SMDs too?
None of these old vans have a rev counter, but the 806 did. From what I can see, the clocks are the same shape and I have ordered a set, they should work in the van shouldn't they?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts