Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 307 HDi 136hp with the 6 speed auto transmission. I'm finding the gearbox logic may be intended more for a petrol engine. If I try accelerate with some enthusiasm, the box holds gears until nearly 4000rpm before changing which would make sense in a petrol where peak torque is delivered at high rpm, but in this car it seems to be around 2500rpm.

Is there anything I can do with PP2000 to change the way the box behaves? Ideally, I never want to see rpm above 3000; especially when I want to accelerate quickly.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Had the same problem with my 308 with the same box, would hold in gear too long especially after using kick down. Only way I could get it to change up before 4000 rpm was to change up manually, no problem if I drove fairly gently as it changed up when it should. I know the ECU is supposed to adapt to you're driving style but driving like a F1 driver isn't what I wanted, I'd have used the sport button if it was. Don't believe there's anything you can change regarding holding in gears on Diagbox/planet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there is no way to do this through Planet, is it possible to 'teach' my box the way I would like it to drive? I'm not sure if it's a placebo, but I thought I noticed it was starting to shift at different rev points after I had been driving in 'manual' mode for a while.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The box adapts to your driving style so you teach it every time you go out. On a previous Clio I owned with the auto box the only way to reset the driving style was to disconnect the battery, not suggesting you do this on your Peugeot as I know the electrics can be tempremantal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my 307, especially when I try to overtake. but I use the sport button or just switch to tiptronic mode which allows you to override the automatic mode and choose the speed that suits you.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Shouldn't the car change gears so that on the NEXT gear it lands on the rpm range of highest torque ?

RPM and HP are not parallel (HP = torque x RPM), so even though you're past the highest point of torque, you're still gaining HP.

136 PS (134 bhp) (100 kW)
at 4000 rpm
340 Nm (251 ft·lb) (34.7 kgm)
at 2000 rpm
If the car is changing at 4000rpm, i suspect the rpm is falling to 3200 ? If so, i believe the behavior is expected for a diesel engine. A petrol engine should change at 5000 or 6000 rpm. IMHO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't the car change gears so that on the NEXT gear it lands on the rpm range of highest torque ?

RPM and HP are not parallel (HP = torque x RPM), so even though you're past the highest point of torque, you're still gaining HP.

If the car is changing at 4000rpm, i suspect the rpm is falling to 3200 ? If so, i believe the behavior is expected for a diesel engine. A petrol engine should change at 5000 or 6000 rpm. IMHO
Aah, maybe this was the piece of information I have been missing all along. I'm new to the world of diesel and in my pursuit to try understand how these engines work (and get the best out of them), I had believed I should be chasing peak torque all the time.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Of course, this is NOT the expected behavior if consumption are important :) I believe the car tries to figure out what you intend by your reactions with the accelerator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts