Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 407 sw 1.6 hdi 167k
Hello.
I want to change my time belt pulleys and water pump. For that i need to take the crank pulley and THE BOLT.
I bouth the kit (on photo) that brings all the locking pins....for crank pulley the cam pulley and fuel pump but also the flywheel.
Well i have tried to lock the flywheel , i have rotate it i have tryed everything and nothing locks it......I need to lock it not olnly to help me take THE BOLT but also i need to change the crank seal so i need it locked.
I dont know if i am missing anything but the fact is i cant lock it.
Any ideas or solutions??
Many thannks to All

Attachments

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You DO NOT lock the crank with the pin to remove the bolt the pins are ONLY for locking for belt change.

You also do not need to time the pump its just a pump.

Use an impact wrench to remove the crank bolt or lock the flywheel by jamming the ring gear with a big screwdriver or angle iron the pin is NOT strong enough for the force needed

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Don’t worry about pining the fuel pump as said above

If you get really stuck with the crank bolt I’ve put a big breaker bar on the end in the past and spun the starter it’s not ideal as it’s risky and you need to get it to the way to not tighten it instead and possibly doing damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t worry about pining the fuel pump as said above

If you get really stuck with the crank bolt I’ve put a big breaker bar on the end in the past and spun the starter it’s not ideal as it’s risky and you need to get it to the way to not tighten it instead and possibly doing damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, My friends. I guess i didnt explain correctly.

Of course i would never try to take the bolt with just the Camshaft locking pin...NEVER.
WHat i said was in the photo shows what i bought so there is a pin for the camshaft another for the crankshaft another for the fuel pump( i know you dont need to lock it but the pin came with the kit and the locking holes are there) and another to lock the flywheel (the bigger one ).I know once the flywheel locked its much better to remove the crankshaft bolt.

The fact is and thats my question, i insert on the hole close to the flexible and nothing happens, it doenst lock, i tried to rotate the engine to see if it locks and it doesnt.

I thought once all the locking holes are align all the pins will fit, icluding the flywheel one.......but it doenst
SO the question...Am I doing something wrong?

Monty i have seen people doing it and honestly i dont feel confortable at all doing that.

Many thanks my friends

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The crank can be 180 degrees out when cam is correct rotate it again 1 full turn on CAM then try the crank pin again but i repeat again do not use the locking pin to hold the crank while undoing the pulley

You only need 2 pins 1 for crank 1 for cam

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't think that's right, Reliable. The CAM might be 180 out as it turns at half crankshaft speed.
The OP's problem is locating where to put the pin in order to lock the crankshaft.
I can't remember, but does the starter need to come off to gain access?.

Roger.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The crank will be in the right place if the camshaft is correct for the pin to be inserted or 180 out. If the crank is 180 out the camshaft will be 90 (or 270) out.

Roger.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You are making the assumption the OP is using correct pins in the correct holes ? I'm just making them think about the possible reasons it's not right could even be a replacement flywheel with no hole do we even know the engine runs ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are making the assumption the OP is using correct pins in the correct holes ? I'm just making them think about the possible reasons it's not right could even be a replacement flywheel with no hole do we even know the engine runs ?
THats what i though..because i turned trhe engine trying to find a hole..and nothing.
The idea is...i think my crankshaft seal is kaput, from outdside i see the oil pump and down there is full of oil. I want to change the time belt etc, but for the seal i need to have the crankshaft locked? or not?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just lock it when your fitting timing belt
I only need to lock the flywheel if i am going to change the seal. if you are just doing the time belt you dont need to lock the flywheel. becaue once you take the crank pulley you can lock it ..thats how to do to change the time belt.
My question since the beggining is.....for me to change the seal or even the oil pump i need to lock the flywheel and the camshaft so the engine is on the correct time.
But no matter what, i cant find the locking position on my flywheel. So i can only do the time belt (after i mange to take the BOLT) because if i do the seal i need to remove the pulley and i dont want to take risk on loosing the time...
Does it make sense?

·
6,303 Posts
I'm sure when i did a 1.6 last year the flywheel locking pin locks the crank to release the pulley then once the pulley (along with crank sensor and ring)

I had to temp refit pulley bolt (with a spacer) remove locking pin and turn the engine a good 1/4 of a turn to line up cam locking hole and second crank locating hole on the front of the engine near oil pump

·
Registered
6 Posts
2008 407 sw 1.6 hdi 167k
Hello.
I want to change my time belt Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin pulleys and water pump. For that i need to take the crank pulley and THE BOLT.
I bouth the kit (on photo) that brings all the locking pins....for crank pulley the cam pulley and fuel pump but also the flywheel.
Well i have tried to lock the flywheel , i have rotate it i have tryed everything and nothing locks it......I need to lock it not olnly to help me take THE BOLT but also i need to change the crank seal so i need it locked.
I dont know if i am missing anything but the fact is i cant lock it.
Any ideas or solutions??
Many thannks to All
i repeat again do not use the locking pin to hold the crank while undoing the pulley

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you.
I know i cant take the bolt with only the camshaft pin.....and i know wich holes to put my pins...LOL LOL LOL.
My question is...there is a setting or a position where all the holes are align meaning. cam shaft, crunk shaft and flywheel?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts