Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the warning light last night battery charge fault drove a bit more then decided to stop at a supermarket, tried to restart, nothing, called the RAC, it's the alternator.
I changed one before but I was wondering if I have to change the belt at the same time. Also, as anyone considered or bought a second hand of internet, a fifth of the price but you'll never know the true mileage (some come with some warranty) my car has 192,000miles and don't fancy paying £180 for a new one...
thx

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
we fit used ones to our taxis and they tend to be fine but they cost us nothing we take them off damaged cars and can usually test before removal but as you say its better than £180

Make sure no wires are broken first though as wiring sometimes causes battery light and non start

·
Registered
437 Posts
Depends what you use the car for.

I didn't fancy getting a second hand one and finding out it didn't fit as apparently there's 2 types.

They're not too bad to get off but the lower inner mount on mine is a clamp not a bolt. I took mine off and had it repaired £81 total.

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
There are 2 types of connections on the exciter wire either a plug or a ring connection as stated but they all fit with minor alterations

As above repair is also an option depends what is actually wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any difference for the alternator between a 90bhp and 110bhp? The car is parked at my in-laws and planning on doing the work next weekend. Cannot go under the car and get a serial number...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the alternator but struggling to but the drive belt back on. I bought a new one but and it is the same length.
I tried to have the belt around everything then apply pressure on the tensioner and push it under the tensioner but I would need a third arm!! is this order correct? or under the tensioner then around something else? any tip?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i had the same issue, even when i locked the adjuster up it was too tight

i had to put it on everything and turn the engine over to get it onto the crankshaft pulley using a breaker bar to turn it over

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might try and get it over the alternator last. Didn't imagine it'd that hard, cannot fit a wrench there, not enough space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts