1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
2.0hdi 90
2002 reg 307

so whilst driving got msg. BATTERY CHARGING ERROR (or similar)
stopped car. re started and it had gone. proceded home didnt come on again.
got home could smell burning. popped the bonnet whilst running.

● the pulley/tensioner just down from the alternator is stuck its not moving at all.

so im guessing thats were the smells coming from as id guess it should free wheel with the aux belt??

● there seemed to be a small amount of smoke coming from the area at top of alternator were the two big wires bolt onto it.

● took the car out again. battery light didnt vome on again but the smells there. the tension wheels still stuck and the smoke i thought i seen at alternator wires doest seem to be present anymore

were should i go from here? iv got a couple days off work and would like to deal with this myself after recent nightmare with the garage.

thanks for any replys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another thing to note there is no squeeling or untoward noises and the belt seems correctly tensioned with no visable sidewards play. sitting correctly on the tensioner or iddler

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all my self diagnosticks yesterday were in tge dark...
●the tensioners is actually running freely.

● the burning rubber smell cant be burning rubber and is deffinitly coming from tge alternator.

iv just read about a clutch in the alternator?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so just went to car..... fired up first time. 10 seconds later the computer display went dim. airbag warning flashed up.... then passanger airbag dissabled..... then it died. and now has a stone dead battery..

AA on the way. if its just alternator im covered on there parta n labour warrenty which i forgot about

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cars sorted now. new alternator cost me my £35 AA parts and labour excess
id recomend that cover to anyone. my cars 12 years old and i already had AA breakdown costing £13 p/m
when i added there parts and labour cover it only took my monthly payments to £20
i can claim 5 times a year upto a cost of £500 per claim and pay only the £35 excess. definitly a winner if uv got an older car like mine.
alternator £108
labour £68
vat £?
saved about £170 today and the premium for the year only works at £84 ontop of break down cover

i didnt get any replies to this thread but a big hello yo everyone who helped me with my last breakdown :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts