Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Suspected for a while that something was worn in the aux-belt area and finally got around to having a look today.

A/C pump spins fairly freely as does tensioner (although there is a little wobble side to side, not sure if that's an issue?). The alternator spins fairly freely in the engine direction (albeit with a faint sound), but I tried locking the cooling fins with a screwdriver and it's quite a job to turn the pulley in the freewheel direction. It's not seized, but it's not "spinning freely". Before I spend £££ on another alternator (since that looks to be about 50% the price of a pulley+fitting kit) how freely-spinning should these be?

TIA

EDIT: Should also say that car was doing an active regen on the way home last night, and I noticed that the idle RPM was jumping around a little bit

·
6,282 Posts
A quick test is to spin alternator pulley hard in normal direction then grab pulley. Pulley should stop but alternator shaft should continue to rotate if clutch works ok. With engine running belt often whips when clutch is shot and you see tensioner arm flapping around to keep belt tension correct

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, it is nowhere near free enough for that to work (stops within 1/2 a turn). Tensioner is bouncing a bit, so I think it's worth replacing.

I will try the local scrappys first so I can spin the clutch on the replacement and see if its any better lol!

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts