Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the heading says 20k 15 plate, driving down the motorway big red sign STOP battery charging issue.
Call Peugeot today first option was the earliest we can look at it next Friday! after some challenging from me this Friday.. no loan car, they suggested I rent a car WTF..
Anyone else had the same I'm guessing it will be cover under warranty?

· Registered
1,805 Posts
They can and do snap prematurely, the lifespan is only a guideline. It's just bad luck

I'm sure there are cars out there that have been to the moon and back on the original timing belt, whilst some people have done 40k and it's gone twang.

If the car is still under warranty, the customer service sounds like it's not too good.....

· Registered
579 Posts
They can and do snap prematurely, the lifespan is only a guideline. It's just bad luck

I'm sure there are cars out there that have been to the moon and back on the original timing belt, whilst some people have done 40k and it's gone twang.

If the car is still under warranty, the customer service sounds like it's not too good.....
I think it's the alternator/auxiliary belt not the timing belt.

· Registered
15,373 Posts
Modern belts do indeed fail regularly they are asked to do much more than they were in the days when you probably could use a pair of tights it would not work nowadays though !!

For example in the 70s and 80s an average alternator made 45-60 amps

Nowadays they can make 150-200 amps so the belt has to work so much harder and thats why they wear out and break

I doubt it will be a warranty item unless it was fitted recently.

· Registered
542 Posts
As the heading says 20k 15 plate, driving down the motorway big red sign STOP battery charging issue.
Call Peugeot today first option was the earliest we can look at it next Friday! after some challenging from me this Friday.. no loan car, they suggested I rent a car WTF..
Anyone else had the same I'm guessing it will be cover under warranty?
Interesting - I asked at my 2yr service about a message on the auxiliary belt, as on the Peugeot App it suggests it must be done then. Garage confirmed not needed until 100k miles. They did say the plastic tensioner can wear the belt (as they have seen this before).

Anyhow car in garage (again - different place).

They have a recall notice to check the auxiliary belt, I was asked to sign form for them to perform recall.

Check with garage if they have performed this recall and ask for print out. I would then contact Peugeot customer services to talk about some form of compensation.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dropped the car of Friday 11am, they told me it has 3 outstanding TSB's one being the Aux belt :thumb: asked for the car back a 4pm.
Called 40 minutes later guy saying we need to order parts! WTF I booked the car in Monday told them its was the belt yet they don't keep the parts in stock, I lost it told them I would get the belt from German French Swedish and drop it back in 20 minutes.
Clearly that didn't go down well the service manager called me back stating it need multi parts :eek: and they wouldn't be in until Tuesday:mad:
Now need to rent a car for work next week.

· Registered
613 Posts
I would suggest you try to get Peugeot to cover the car rental costs. Mine are covered by company I work for (company car). Mine is now also waiting back order parts.
I had a Nissan which need diagnostic work done which took over a week because dealer and Nissan worked together on it, dealer lent me a courtesy car but when fault traced was going to take 8 weeks for the unit to be made. It was a part that had never failed before so nowhere in the world a spare.
The dealer hired a Peugeot 308SW and charged Nissan for it, that's why I now drive 308SW's I liked it that much. Dealer billed Nissan nearly £4K in total.

· Registered
613 Posts
My car been in dealers today for a recall it was to do with a rear wiring harness I understand.
I asked about an alternator belt problem and was told none.
I had to sign nothing and was given no paperwork.

· Registered
542 Posts
My car been in dealers today for a recall it was to do with a rear wiring harness I understand.
I asked about an alternator belt problem and was told none.
I had to sign nothing and was given no paperwork.
That fault is the Adblue not being reset when refilled. The wiring harness was at fault somehow??

My new dealer (not R&D chain) has always been up front. Much better service than R&D (stay clear of them!). I have my lease company on a leash and have bashed their customer service team. In turn they are bashing Peugeot on the head, so I'm finding they are resolving issues faster than before. My lease company have also been paying me compensation every time I complain....

I went to another dealer (as I was elsewhere) and my Adblue needed topping up. They asked me about my recalls if I wanted them done. I asked what they were. Suggest you go to a better dealer who actively looks after you and your car.

· Registered
613 Posts
That fault is the Adblue not being reset when refilled. The wiring harness was at fault somehow??
I recall when they refilled the Adblue last year they had a problem getting the warning light to go out.

Overall at this dealer I was not impressed with knowledge and carrying out of the purpose of my visit in the first place so will not be having further visits there.

· Registered
21 Posts
Is definitely a Service Recall for the top tensioner pulley/auxiliary belt. I saw the TSB form this morning when I took my GT Line in regarding something else. They checked mine and it has gotta be changed and they also have to order the parts in for it to. Was told the top tensioner pulley can fail and destroy belt at same time. Makes me feel really confident driving the car now..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.