Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My current security nut is showing signs of wear & and at a recent wheel change it was suggested to me that I should change it because there is a danger that it might stop working.

Looking around the popular make appears to be McGuard.

Looking at their web site it isn't clear to me what size is the correct one for a 5 year old 407 Sport HDi.

Does anyone know please?

·
Registered
909 Posts
ditch the security bolts while you can still get them off, its a common issue and i spent 8hours drilling one out. Replace with normal wheel bolts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Isn’t the main problem with the security bolts misuse with air wrenches, normally when changing tyres? I’ve just taken the old bolts off my 2009 Coupe and they were quite badly beaten up and I was lucky to get 2 of them off. However, living in London and having just fitted over £600 pounds worth of new tyres I’m keen to have them secured to the car. Thus I’m considering fitting a replacement set of new security bolts, but replacing them with a standard bolt every time I go to a tyre dealer, or a garage for work that might require wheel removal.

·
5,028 Posts
My opinion is the same as 407xjr's just bin the damned things. As for living in London and wanting to keep your wheels/tyres try living round here where you darnt make a hand signal cos your watch will be gone :nod:
anyway you could try someone like
https://www.facebook.com/lockingwheelnutremover.removal?fref=ts
cost you about £100 to have yours removed,then the £30-£40 for replacement locking nuts only to find the thieving scum just nicked the whole damned car for your wheels/tyres that are an uncommon size so not that sellable anyway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree that having a security bolt locked on would be a major problem. And the Peugeot bolts do appear to be more fragile than other designs, but I'm going to try a new set, put copper slip on the threads, and use a torque wrench to tighten them. I'll probably use a slightly lowered torque setting.

The new bolts are a slightly different design and look a but more robust but still use the same round pin type of socket key. Time will tell if they remain reliable, but that is now down to me.

Fingers crossed all will be OK.

Ian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts