Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo I'm thinking, just thinking mind, about maybe colouring my alloys (standard grey 17" Challenger alloys, pics of my car here...http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showroom-6/my-car-105961/ )

I'm thinking black possibly gloss.

So, do I get them done professionally? Painted or coated? Or do it myself? I imagine DIY would be a lot cheaper and easily repairable. Has anyone done this and can offer any advice?
Appreciated
RS

C

·
0 Posts
From what I'm told powder coating is harder wearing.

I've always though BMW sparkling graphite looked good on a set of alloys.

·
Registered
424 Posts
personally I think standard alloys painted black look crap, but that's just my opinion

I'd get them done by a pro though, as Cris says powder coating is more durable and I think is what most people tend to go for today if you're changing colour completely

·
Registered
655 Posts
Definetly not black, I have always had mine done by a local firm £25, a wheel . Powder coated and stoved . Depends on what you want and how often you might hit a curb. I would wait until after the winter months too. Peter

·
Registered
81 Posts
Definetly not black, I have always had mine done by a local firm £25, a wheel . Powder coated and stoved . Depends on what you want and how often you might hit a curb. I would wait until after the winter months too. Peter
Good price - where from mate (I'm in Sittingbourne) :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Na, I wouldn't go black mate, as soon as black DIY's get curbed or stone chipped the Alloy underneath sticks out like a soar thumb, not only that but you wouldn't think that road dirt would show up as much as it really does on black wheels, even brake dust is really visible when dry and baked in. why not try a gun metal metallic base and a clear coat to seal after for a good durable sheen? ;) would look propa on your motor!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ps. if you do a DIY job on them, when they have dried and set properly and you putting them back on the car, run a strip of masking tape (low tack) around the inner nut recess before you put the nuts back in and tighten. the last thing you'd want is dirty spanner scraped on new paint!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fully agree with the "no black" theme - I have had a couple of sets done in the past - always gone for metalic gunmetal/graphite colours! I am contemplating a DIY jobbie but it will probably have to wait until the warmer weather!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Fully agree with the "no black" theme - I have had a couple of sets done in the past - always gone for metalic gunmetal/graphite colours! I am contemplating a DIY jobbie but it will probably have to wait until the warmer weather!
I have been noticing some cars with black alloys and they look at first glance like the cheap steel wheels under hub caps. Some cars also makes them look considerably worse, as if they had been recovered off a scrap yard! (IMHO)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have been noticing some cars with black alloys and they look at first glance like the cheap steel wheels under hub caps. Some cars also makes them look considerably worse, as if they had been recovered off a scrap yard! (IMHO)
manufacturers at the moment seem to think sticking black alloys on a car makes it a limited edition :D

Vauxhall are suckers for this!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive done mine white and when ive cleaned the car i put waterless wax on them which seems to stop the dirt impregnating the paint, been on 2 yrs and are still bright white and no cracking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts