Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an unrepairable puncture on my 2 month old 3008. It took 4 days and alot of pushing to get my local dealer to accept some level of accountability and finally remove a stock tyre and place it on my vehicle. During this process I discovered the following:

• Only one size and brand of tyre will fit the vehicle. (Michelin)
  • There are currently NONE available in NZ
  • Peugeot have a shipment coming of just three units
  • Dealers do not know about this issue

I would like to know what assurance Peugeot can offer late model 3008 owners that they can meet their obligations of ensuring a supply of tyres for their vehicles, considering there are no alternative options (other than a cheap Chinese tyre, which I was surprisingly instructed by the Peugeot service manager to use to resolve the situation)

What happens if I get another unrepairable puncture - or when i need to replace tyres because of normal wear and tear. I was astounded by the lack of accountability or understanding of the issue from my local dealer, and was given the impression they were doing me a favour by supplying me a stock tyre.

I would recommend all owners to call their dealer to alert them of the issue and what assurances can be offered.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi.

This forum is not a Peugeot forum (other than it's content is regarding Peugeot cars). If you want assurances from Peugeot, you need to contact them. What led you to conclude that the only brand you can fit is Michelin? They are no more than a recommendation and only then since they are also French. I currently have Toyos on mine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but since when is it a dealers responsibility to replace or accept responsibility for a punctured tyre? This is not a case of manufacturing fault or defect of the car. The fact that you managed to get them to give you a replacement astounds me.

Secondly, why would you go to a dealer for a new tyre? Surely you have independent tyre retailers who stock Michelin in NZ. Replacing a tyre will not affect warranty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What did you mean with:
  • Only one size and brand of tyre will fit the vehicle. (Michelin)
There are a lot of top brand tires which fit your vehicle. I miself would never buy Michelin again, too loud is the main reason, not because the tire is bad. My Continental winter tires are quieter then Michelin summer tires 😂

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Reactions: neildouglas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some of these tyre sizes aren’t that common in markets like Australia and New Zealand so the post doesn’t surprise me.

My 2019 3008 has 225/55R18 and there are only a couple of available options in Australia. Almost none of them are a stocked item in a suburban tyre store so you’d have to order and wait a few days for them to arrive from the tyre distributor‘s warehouse.

This is the reality of owning a car which sells 20-60 a month in a whole country.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Some of these tyre sizes aren’t that common in markets like Australia and New Zealand so the post doesn’t surprise me.

My 2019 3008 has 225/55R18 and there are only a couple of available options in Australia. Almost none of them are a stocked item in a suburban tyre store so you’d have to order and wait a few days for them to arrive from the tyre distributor‘s warehouse.

This is the reality of owning a car which sells 20-60 a month in a whole country.
Yes fully understand availability (drove around Australia for a year. And had to pre order tyres for a Subaru). But the idea of not being responsible for punctures is just mind blowing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes fully understand availability (drove around Australia for a year. And had to pre order tyres for a Subaru). But the idea of not being responsible for punctures is just mind blowing.
My interpretation of the situation is that the complaint with the dealer (and the Peugeot importer) is that they had no business selling the car in NZ if there wasn't a reliable supply of replacement parts such as tyres.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My interpretation of the situation is that the complaint with the dealer (and the Peugeot importer) is that they had no business selling the car in NZ if there wasn't a reliable supply of replacement parts such as tyres.
Really? No suitable tyre sizes in New Zealand? The 3008s take common sizes, find it hard to believe.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Really? No suitable tyre sizes in New Zealand? The 3008s take common sizes, find it hard to believe.
I just checked with my brother who worked a chemist in the Australian tyre industry for his entire working life. His reply was:

Over ten years since tyres were made in Australia. Bridgestone in SA were last to close.

Its probably not a common size in Australia. 19 inch tyres would tend to be lower profile than 55.

Tyre dealers here seem to have the size but in the lower V speed rating. Then there is the pattern match issue.

Your right it is the car dealers job to sort it out.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Replacement tyres are not the dealer or Peugeots problem.

Independent tyre shops can order them in.

Then again checking on ongoing running costs / availability of items like replacement tyres should have been done before purchasing the vehicle.

The vehicle is going to need tyres replacing sooner or later just through everyday normal wear & tear.

FWIW - Some popular tyre sizes here in the UK are on backorder with the tyre manufacturers due to Covid hitting manufacturers / supply chains.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Replacement tyres are not the dealer or Peugeots problem.

Independent tyre shops can order them in.

Then again checking on ongoing running costs / availability of items like replacement tyres should have been done before purchasing the vehicle.

The vehicle is going to need tyres replacing sooner or later just through everyday normal wear & tear.

FWIW - Some popular tyre sizes here in the UK are on backorder with the tyre manufacturers due to Covid hitting manufacturers / supply chains.
Clearly we have stronger consumer laws in this part of the world. Your implied "buyer beware caveat doesn't apply, car importers are required under consumer law to ensure that parts are available for a reasonable number of years. Many parts of a car need replacement from time to time and there is no reason to treat tyres any differently. This is probably why the importer was trying to source tyres. They were technically in breach of the law which could lead to a prosecution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
These are common cars, and there is an expectation that tyres will be available. If they were Bugatti Chiron that expectation would not be substantive. Peugeot NZ should at least have side imported a sufficient quantity ensure a reasonable and timely supply.

All that being said, I have fitted some very affordable "Premium" level Chinese tyres (and some Ditch Finders), and frankly those premium have preformed almost as well as the 2-3x priced Brand names - and lasted longer. There is enough customer feedback to Tyre suppliers to offer a decent option.

·
Registered
3008 PureTech EAT6
10 Posts
In my part of the world, factory tyres are considered a part of the vehicle assembly and must be available at dealers for 10 years after purchase. Any repair/replacement for any type of product should not last for more than 30 days or the consumer can request full refund. If the repair can't be finished in 15 days, the company must provide an equivalent or better product until the work is done (max 30 days).

I still don't get why the dealer is responsible for a puncture though. Was it like a small nail that destroyed the tyre's structure? That might be plausible but if the tyre endured a considerable impact, that's the driver's problem. Maybe the local government's for crappy roads.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I still don't get why the dealer is responsible for a puncture though. Was it like a small nail that destroyed the tyre's structure? That might be plausible but if the tyre endured a considerable impact, that's the driver's problem. Maybe the local government's for crappy roads.
I get the impression a lot people think Gazzdajazz was trying to get the dealer to replace the tyre under warrantee. That is a misreading of the situation. The car was only a couple of months old and he couldn't buy an exact replacement tyre anywhere in NZ. If he was able to wait the Peugeot importer had some on order but that could take months. Under NZ consumer law the importer is required to advise the buyer if replacement parts are not available before the purchase takes place. He was within his rights to demand that the dealer remedy the situation. It didn't mean he got the tyre fitted under warrantee.

·
Registered
3008 PureTech EAT6
10 Posts
I get the impression a lot people think Gazzdajazz was trying to get the dealer to replace the tyre under warrantee. That is a misreading of the situation. The car was only a couple of months old and he couldn't buy an exact replacement tyre anywhere in NZ. If he was able to wait the Peugeot importer had some on order but that could take months. Under NZ consumer law the importer is required to advise the buyer if replacement parts are not available before the purchase takes place. He was within his rights to demand that the dealer remedy the situation. It didn't mean he got the tyre fitted under warrantee.
I see. You are right; it seems some of us thought he suggests the dealer is responsible for the cost.
He just asked the dealer to find a stock tyre.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts