Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has come across this before as it is not something you would encounter normally.
A few weeks ago, our car was vandalised in the early hours (he then went on to do 14 more cars and had a field day).
He smashed the drivers side quarter window first, leaving a nice hole. He tried the drivers window but his implement slid down the glass and dented the chrome trim. Same with the rear passenger window but just scratched the glass.The rear passenger quarter was smashed with anther nice hole. along with damage to the interior trim where his implement went through. Finally he went for the rear window and smashed that 3 times, leaving big holes and also damaging the interior trim.
My concern is that the alarm failed to go off. I have had the car into the dealership wh can find nothing wrong. However, unless you smash a window, how can you check that it is working as it should? (Our model (feline Mistral) says that it should go off if a window is smashed.)
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar? I'm thinking this is the sort of issue that no one would know isn't working unless something like this happens. Do Peugeot even try smashing a window on a new vehicle, or just assume that if the light is on and the diagnostics say it's ok, then all must be working.
Have attached photos for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Are you 100% sure your car has an alarm fitted?

Do you have the VIN - we can check if it has the factory fit alarm system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does. Already been checked.
Quote:
The alarm system installed in the vehicle was both volumetric and perimetric meaning that it protects the interior and the exterior openings. If any of the windows are smashed, including the front ¼ glass the alarm will sound.

But the fact is, the car was locked using the remote, which is how it is armed, and it didn't go off when any of the windows were smashed. This is why I think there is a problem that may not be known about. As I keep saying, unless you smash a window, how do you know the alarm will sound? And not many people have their windows smashed

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Easiest way to test the ultrasonic sensors is.

Get an assistant to sit perfectly still inside the car, deadlock it & wait 60 seconds for the alarm system to fully arm - then get your assistant to start moving about & the ultrasonic system should trigger the alarm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, we have tested it and it works for movement inside the car. It just doesn't work when the window is smashed :confused:

·
Registered
855 Posts
For something like this, you would need a shock sensor.

Perimeter alarm monitors if the doors / bonnet is opened or the start stop button is pressed without a key present.

Ultrasonic sensors monitors for movement inside the vehicle.

·
6,314 Posts
As above volumetric is ok but does pick up extremities of the car well. In the old day before they cut costs they often put a wire trace in the front and rear quater lights and a sensor in the heated rear screen circuit to detect broken windows as the sensors did not trigger alarm

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but are you suggesting that the alarm we have wouldn't have gone off? Because Peugeot have clearly stated that it should have, which is why I am confused.
If the dealer has done diagnostic tests and tell me all is working correctly, then what I think you are saying would make sense.
Which then means that Peugeot are giving incorrect info on the specs.
Or have I misunderstood?
Totally confused now lol

·
Registered
855 Posts
Forgive me for being so blunt.

What you are getting confused over are the terms of the alarm systems features and how these features work.

Peugeot will state the car alarm will go off if the car is "broken into". Your car wasn't broken into, it was damaged. There was no intrusion, he didn't want to break into the car and he wouldn't have entered the car.

If he threw a brick through the window... that would have set off the alarm as the volume of the brick is quite large.
Looking at your description, he used a screwdriver or similar instrument to damage the windows. A screwdriver is quite small. As is individual pieces of glass, the alarm wouldn't have gone off.

When these systems are developed, the engineers test the system and ensure there are no false errors. This does mean it makes it harder to detect any intrusion.

Peugeot will be right, there is no fault with the system and it is working as intended. Yes I don't like it either and the only way to get around it would be installing a shock sensor or a glass break sensor.

Or if you want to stop a thief getting through the window as nobody cares about car alarms now, use 3M Scotchshield automotive security window film.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

What you are getting confused over are the terms of the alarm systems features and how these features work.

Peugeot will state the car alarm will go off if the car is "broken into". Your car wasn't broken into, it was damaged. There was no intrusion, he didn't want to break into the car and he wouldn't have entered the car.

If he threw a brick through the window... that would have set off the alarm as the volume of the brick is quite large.
Looking at your description, he used a screwdriver or similar instrument to damage the windows. A screwdriver is quite small. As is individual pieces of glass, the alarm wouldn't have gone off.

When these systems are developed, the engineers test the system and ensure there are no false errors. This does mean it makes it harder to detect any intrusion.

Peugeot will be right, there is no fault with the system and it is working as intended. Yes I don't like it either and the only way to get around it would be installing a shock sensor or a glass break sensor.

Or if you want to stop a thief getting through the window as nobody cares about car alarms now, use 3M Scotchshield automotive security window film.
This is from the handbook for the 2008. Note in the last paragraph, "if anyone breaks a window" How can that possibly be misinterpreted?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is pretty much how I understood it so thanks for clarifying.

The implement used was either a tyre iron or similar pipe, according to the police (he is on CCTV at his next location).

However, whilst I understand what you're saying, the fact remains that both the handbook for this model, plus Peugeot themselves have stated that it WILL go off if the window is smashed.
Quote from them:
"The alarm system installed in the vehicle was both volumetric and perimetric meaning that it protects the interior and the exterior openings. If any of the windows are smashed, including the front ¼ glass the alarm will sound."
So I guess this is an untrue statement.
What I need is "an expert" (forgive me if you are that expert , in which case can I quote you?), to confirm that this is factually correct and then I can go back to them and complain again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is from the handbook for the 2008. Note in the last paragraph, "if anyone breaks a window" How can that possibly be misinterpreted?
Thank you for that. Exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't state that the implement used to break the window must be of "x" size, nor does it say that it has to go "y" inches inside the vehicle before it will work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts