Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With cars that have climate control I just set the temperature I like and leave it at that which means the car will turn off and on the aircon as req'd to keep the car at my desired temp. This means the aircon gets used regularily, more in the summer of course and rarely in winter except as part of the demist cycle. I can't see why you would ever do anything else.

But I often see people talking about turning it off manually and not using it, for fuel consumption purposes I assume, but then they must be sitting in a car at a suboptimal temperature as if it is cold enough outside not to need aircon then the climate control wouldn't use it anyway. I have been led to believe that regular use of the aircon keeps it lubricated and stops it drying out and needing regassed. My last 3 aircon cars have lasted me 5+ years with no need for regas.

Just wondered what other people do and whether they can justify their odd behaviours :).

ie my missus will get in the car and set the aircon to low or 12c etc in the belief that will then make it work quicker(it doesn't as it still takes the same time for aircon to get going) when she should just leave it at the desired temp.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
With cars that have climate control I just set the temperature I like and leave it at that which means the car will turn off and on the aircon as req'd to keep the car at my desired temp. This means the aircon gets used regularily, more in the summer of course and rarely in winter except as part of the demist cycle. I can't see why you would ever do anything else.

But I often see people talking about turning it off manually and not using it, for fuel consumption purposes I assume, but then they must be sitting in a car at a suboptimal temperature as if it is cold enough outside not to need aircon then the climate control wouldn't use it anyway. I have been led to believe that regular use of the aircon keeps it lubricated and stops it drying out and needing regassed. My last 3 aircon cars have lasted me 5+ years with no need for regas.

Just wondered what other people do and whether they can justify their odd behaviours :).

ie my missus will get in the car and set the aircon to low or 12c etc in the belief that will then make it work quicker(it doesn't as it still takes the same time for aircon to get going) when she should just leave it at the desired temp.
So what temperature do you keep the climate set control at? 20 to 21 degrees is my ideal tempreature for winter but I like to be cooler in the summer!

·
Registered
226 Posts
So what temperature do you keep the climate set control at? 20 to 21 degrees is my ideal tempreature for winter but I like to be cooler in the summer!
How do you know what temperature you have set as Peugeot say the 'numbers' on the heating control do not correspond to actual temperature but just to a 'comfort' level - whatever that means.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
21 does me fine. I find in the summer I also like it cooler say 20c, but usually it's more the breeze I seek so just turn the fan speed up a bit.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
How do you know what temperature you have set as Peugeot say the 'numbers' on the heating control do not correspond to actual temperature but just to a 'comfort' level - whatever that means.
I was talking about temperatures in general, as you say there are no temperature settings in the car.

21 does me fine. I find in the summer I also like it cooler say 20c, but usually it's more the breeze I seek so just turn the fan speed up a bit.
It will be interesting to have a thermometer in the car and see what I consider to be a reasonable temperature in winter and summer. As you say they may not be that different.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I never turn it off. It's off during the winter because AC doesn't work below 0 degrees, but that happens automatic and not something I decide.

Have between 21 to 23 during summer and 16 to 23 during winter depending on how far I'm going and how much clothes I wear.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Personally, every car I have ever owned, fitted with air con, I simply leave it on all the time. Climate control makes things even simpler.

The use of air con in wet weather ensures windows stay clear and I get decent fresh air all year round. The system seems to be kept functioning well through constant use.

Numerous people I know, simply don't use it very often and go on about the extra cost of running it. Usually they then tell me it doesn't work or doesn't cool very well when they do try and switch it on.

Previous company cars have had over 100000 miles on the clock in 3 years with the air con as cool as it was when new.

When I've spent as much on my cars, and having a great feature like air con fitted, I never even think about switching it off. I favour my own comfort over my mpg!

Reactions: maxime and Tony3

·
Registered
129 Posts
I leave mine on all the time, the only time I have to touch it is if the wife has been in the car, because, like most women she has the metabolism of a lizard and always cranks the heat up, even in summer.

I have noticed that after a run out the car does tend to leave puddles everywhere I park it, but my Hyundai did the same thing when the aicon was running.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I also always keep the a/c activated and let the car does its job at regulating. 21 to 22 is my setting.

Some say that if you don't use the a/c, some mold and smells can develop inside...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
As someone above said, the aircon is ALWAYS on unless switched off, regardless of temperature. The climate control system varies the hot water flow to the heat exchanger to control the temperature. If it didn't work that way, it couldn't demist under cold conditions.

It follows that the aircon compressor is always loading the engine, so fuel consumption suffers. Switch the aircon off unless you are too hot or demisting is required. The climate control will still control temperature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.