Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently acquired, from my dad, his old 52 reg (Feb 2003) 307 Rapier estate HDI 90.

About 3 years ago, he had it valeted, steam cleaned seats etc. The next day the airbag light came on. He has pretty much ignored it, he had a diagnostic (private garage) done a few months ago and they pointed to the comm2000 unit. The MOT is not due till Feb 14 but I have been told it will be a fail under new rules.

Does anyone think anything could have happened during the valet to make the light come on, I have disconnected and reconnected the under seat connectors to no avail, or do you think it's probably just coincidence the light came on afterwards.

If it is the comm2000 unit, if I were to buy one with the trip button on the end of the wiper stalk, would this work in my car as it has not got it now? I guess I would need to avoid the units with auto wipers/lights etc.

Lastly would you think it a good idea to get a second hand one? If these are prone to failure would I be better to get a new one from ebay?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Hi

I recently acquired, from my dad, his old 52 reg (Feb 2003) 307 Rapier estate HDI 90.

About 3 years ago, he had it valeted, steam cleaned seats etc. The next day the airbag light came on. He has pretty much ignored it, he had a diagnostic (private garage) done a few months ago and they pointed to the comm2000 unit. The MOT is not due till Feb 14 but I have been told it will be a fail under new rules.

Does anyone think anything could have happened during the valet to make the light come on, I have disconnected and reconnected the under seat connectors to no avail, or do you think it's probably just coincidence the light came on afterwards.

If it is the comm2000 unit, if I were to buy one with the trip button on the end of the wiper stalk, would this work in my car as it has not got it now? I guess I would need to avoid the units with auto wipers/lights etc.

Lastly would you think it a good idea to get a second hand one? If these are prone to failure would I be better to get a new one from ebay?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
your unit could be repaired or you could buy a second hand one i have a few for sale with 6 months warranty you could get one with trip button but you would need to enable it with pp2000 to get it working

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both.

From what I have read there are a couple of different manufacturers that were used for these units. I guess I will have to get the steering wheel off at some point to have a look at the label.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Thanks both.

From what I have read there are a couple of different manufacturers that were used for these units. I guess I will have to get the steering wheel off at some point to have a look at the label.
delphi and dav but that does not matter both will work the same as long as its a comm 2000 and not a comm 2001

·
5,993 Posts
Get the codes read with Planet by a local member first it could still be seat connectors etc

comm 2000 is behind steering wheel combines all stalks and airbag connections to steering wheel. Driver trigger 1/2 faults often related to comm2000

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
As windy says...get those codes read!

chances are the wiring on the seat connectors has broke and is causing the issue.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Ah, how do I find that out? My dad told me it was the bit behind the steering wheel, I came up with the name comm2000 unit from googling:)
its defo a comm 2000 unit on that car but as said i might not even be the comms unit at fault and until you have the codes read it could be anything on the airbag system

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have checked, un plugged and re plugged the under seat connectors, they did not look disturbed in any way. I also had a look under the plastic trim under the door post at the yellow connector beneath the carpet. All seems fine, as I said my dad did have a diag done when it was his car by a private garage and he was told it was the comm unit.

As far as checking this out for my self, would this or similar do the trick?

Scanner

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
No you will need planet for a full diagnostic on what has failed...or find someone local.

Disconnecting and reconnecting will do no difference if there is a fault with the wire. Only way to check is using a multimeter and check resistance. But planet is your best bet now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I have checked, un plugged and re plugged the under seat connectors, they did not look disturbed in any way. I also had a look under the plastic trim under the door post at the yellow connector beneath the carpet. All seems fine, as I said my dad did have a diag done when it was his car by a private garage and he was told it was the comm unit.

As far as checking this out for my self, would this or similar do the trick?

Scanner
here is a way to check if comms unit is causing the fault

get 2 3.3ohm resistors take the panel off under the steering wheel and you will see 5 wires going into the comms unit if you unplug the one on the left and the one on the right blue and brown you will see they both have only 2 wires in them if you take the blue and put one side of the resistor in one pin on the connector and the other side of the resistor in the other pin on the connector then repeat for the brown one and see if the light goes out if it does its either comms unit or drivers airbag at fault but do not leave it like this as the drivers airbag will never work

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I haven't got any resistors knocking about to be honest. I do have a multimeter howerver, is there any wires I can do a continuity check on?
yes take the 2 connectors off the back of the comms unit the blue and brown and take the airbag off meter across the 2 pins on the green and then the blue on the wires that you took off the airbag you should get not more than 1.5ohms

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your advice TrustMe.

I have done what you suggested and checked the resistance, it's quite nerve racking for someone who is not really used to 'titting' with cars, let alone airbags.

Anyway, the blue is bang on 1.5 ohms but the green wire has 120 ohms of resistance. Culprit found?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Thanks for your advice TrustMe.

I have done what you suggested and checked the resistance, it's quite nerve racking for someone who is not really used to 'titting' with cars, let alone airbags.

Anyway, the blue is bang on 1.5 ohms but the green wire has 120 ohms of resistance. Culprit found?
yes as long as you had the meter wires held in correct because they can be quite tricky

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could not actually get the meter probes to touch the contacts inside the plugs so i improvised and shove a needle in each one and put the probes on the needles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did measure the needles just to make sure they were perfect conductors and they did not have any resistance from one end to the other.

I am going to contact a local Peugeot/Citroen breaker this week and see how much he wants for a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem on a 407

I had a minor collision in my 407. As far as I know only the seatbelt pretensioners detonated. I got my airbag module crash data reset and put resistors in the connectors for the seatbelt tensioners but the airbag light stays on.

1. Is the wiring under the stearing wheel the same on the 307 and 407?
2. Will the fix described work for my 407?
3. Is there anywhere else I should put resistors?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 22 Posts