Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Peugeot 3008 is the gift that keeps on giving.
Recently it's been giving the error "Airbag or Seat belt pretensioner faulty" while driving. This is intermittent. So I can go the whole week driving 50 miles a day without a single issue, then sometimes I can be 10 minutes in to a drive and it'll start bleeping about it repeatedly for the rest of the journey. Sometimes the light on the dashboard will stay on for a good while, but most of the time it will stay on for a minute then go off, only to come back on a few seconds later.

There's no rhyme nor reason to what's causing it. I would suspect if the airbag or seatbelts were faulty the fault would be permanently on. But the fact this comes and goes makes me wonder that it's an electrical gremlin. If this is the case, what can I do or what should I be looking for? I have checked all the wires under front seats and been put on a scanner and that pointed to level 1drivers air bag fault high stop distance????

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You may want to take a look here:

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/3008-2017-138/air-bag-seatbelt-pre-tension-fault-297338/

I had a similar problem on my first 2017 GT. It seemed to be very random and quick, and only did it when it was very cold outside. I didn't see the problem in the warmer months.

The dealers couldn't find any logged error codes at all (although they didn't try particularly hard!), so were unable to help. I lived with it, as it was random and for me, only ever warned for a split second and then completely cleared.

When I first got my car, something under the drivers seat (box with wires) fell down and was dangling mid air under the electric seat mechanism. I managed to clip it back underneath, but do wonder if this issue was something to do with the wiring and connectors under the drivers seat, that then caused this problem.

I've got a new 2018 GT now, and fortunately haven't seen any similar issues.

I did look for TSB's that matched the same symptoms, but they only mentioned a logged fault code, there just didn't seem to be any relevant bulletins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the info
i think you may be right about the cold weather has it only comes on when it very cold outside i have put a new car battery on has the old one had very low voltage and been told this could interfere with electronics systems not sure if the code needs clearing after new battery was put on? and sometimes the air bag light stays on then after an hour it goes off and if i have the heaters on to warm the car up the airbag light comes on again ? I will double check all the wires under the seats but still not sure about the level 1 high stop distance error! i have searched on the net and cant find this error at all

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same Pre-tensioner alarm and with it Wind Screen Wiper fault. At the time it was in heavy rain and I had only driven the car out of the garage. The wiper would not work, even when I stopped and restarted the car. After about an hour I restarted the car and all warnings had reset and wipers worked again. I only had the problem the one time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, its funny how other errors can make a air bag light come on still looking for the LEVEL driver airbag fault high stop error may be it was due to my low voltage car battery and i need to try a clear the error again

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had this intermittent fault on my 2015 Peugeot 308 for some months. The local garage said the error was with the drivers seat side airbag and said it needed to be looked at by a Peugeot dealer. I decided to have a look myself so took the seat out of the car - easy and removed the plastic cover from the side - not so easy.

There is a wiring loom containing 3 wires that runs up the right hand side of the seat to the airbag. I noticed that this had been trapped in the seat metalwork that allows the seat back to incline. The wiring loom outer cover was broken and the insulation on one of the wires crushed exposing the conductor which I assume was intermittently making contact with the seat metal work and causing the fault. Repaired with several layers of insulating tape and route of loom moved to avoid the "pinch point".

The problem has not come back for three days now so hopefully that was the cause. The routing of the wiring loom is not good so maybe this is the cause of problems being had by others.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Wiring is always the main reason for airbag warnings the system is very sensitive and if it gets a high resistance connection anywhere it will put the light on.

Wiring on newer Peugeots is no better than older cars so as these cars get older all the same faults are going to occur.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same Pre-tensioner alarm and with it Wind Screen Wiper fault. At the time it was in heavy rain and I had only driven the car out of the garage. The wiper would not work, even when I stopped and restarted the car. After about an hour I restarted the car and all warnings had reset and wipers worked again. I only had the problem the one time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi have just left work and a warning came on the dash about airbag and seat belt pretensioner fault. I carried on and then it started to rain heavy and I had no front windscreen wipers, rear 1 worked fine. Feeling optimistic that the fault might clear itself but if not I don't know what to do

·
Registered
171 Posts
My problem never returned. I'm now on my second 3008 and it's still impeccable after 1 year of ownership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My problem never returned. I'm now on my second 3008 and it's still impeccable after 1 year of ownership.
Thankyou so much coming home I was worried what was wrong. Reading your post gave me hope. I have just gone out to the car 3 hours after coming home and no warning on dashboard and wipers working thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I was having visions of getting a face full of airbag, because this fault has been showing on my 13 plate 508 SW. I had a feeling it was to do with the colder temperatures - we used to have a 405SW that hooted gently to itself when it got colder, so we had to take the horn fuse out, to stop it waking the neighbourhood. I now have a few options to look at tomorrow, when I'll have time and daylight to check out the problems. I can also update the navigation system - wahoo!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2012 Peugeot 3008 with the Airbag/Seat belt pretensioner issue.

Now my question assuming the airbag is faulty, what is a accurate troubleshooting? E.G.: How much voltage or resistance needs to be on the airbag or the plug under the seat? There must be a smarty way to approach this issue rather than assumption what it could be so any help is much appreciated.

Background: One mechanic I have ask to look into the Airbag issue wants to send it in for repair without actually knowing if the issue is really the airbag, the other want to replace the entire seat given you get them quite cheap on ebay including airbag but that is a bit overkill and no correct error diagnoses in my view. If somebody has a good way to check if the airbag is really broken that would be superb.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Something like driver seat belt pretensioner, I was assuming its the airbag in the drive seat but it seems it's the pretensioner. I would just like to be sure before I order a new one as there must be a way to be 100% sure that either of the issue is the airbag or the pretensioner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Peugeot 3008 is the gift that keeps on giving.
Recently it's been giving the error "Airbag or Seat belt pretensioner faulty" while driving. This is intermittent. So I can go the whole week driving 50 miles a day without a single issue, then sometimes I can be 10 minutes in to a drive and it'll start bleeping about it repeatedly for the rest of the journey. Sometimes the light on the dashboard will stay on for a good while, but most of the time it will stay on for a minute then go off, only to come back on a few seconds later.

There's no rhyme nor reason to what's causing it. I would suspect if the airbag or seatbelts were faulty the fault would be permanently on. But the fact this comes and goes makes me wonder that it's an electrical gremlin. If this is the case, what can I do or what should I be looking for? I have checked all the wires under front seats and been put on a scanner and that pointed to level 1drivers air bag fault high stop distance????
I'm having same problem with my 3008 how did u get it sorted

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having same problem with my 3008 how did u get it sorted
My advise is to sell this piece of crap and replace it with something more reliable, I might have been unlucky but there was constantly an issue with my Peugeot 3008. I now purchased a Mercedes Benz even older that the Peugeot and so far so good

·
Registered
2012 3008 & 2018 208
6 Posts
I had exactly the same thing on my 3008, finally traced cables through the drivers seat and found one wire had snapped in the seat where it goes up to the side airbag, it was possible to remove the plastic on the back of the seat and loosen the fabric to trace the wires

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same Pre-tensioner and air bag alarm and with it wind screen wipers fault once in last summer. The wipers went on by itself and did not stop. The wipers did not stop, even when I stopped and restarted the car. I stopped the car again and after about 5 minutes wipers stopped and alarm disapeared.
Just before the alarm I used a powerfull radio transmitter (transmitter for a door bell) inside my car. Maybe it disturbed the CAN and was the reason for the alarm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts