Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprise, surprise - I noticed some oil on the bottom of the engine. All over the sump and further back.

The oil is clear (so not engine) and does not smell (so not diesel).

It looks like its accumulating around the air con compressor. Now, does the air con compressor contain oil? Using the full force of my mechanical knowledge, I scampered under the car and tightened a couple of the union nuts on the compressor. May or may not do owt, won't find out til tomorrow.

Bleedin car continues to be a pain in the ass, I should have stuck with Vauxhall.

Anyway is there oil in the compressor and how it is refilled.

Toodle pip.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The steering in the Peugeot uses clear hydraulic fluid. Check that the cap on the reservoir is still in place and that you still have hydraulic fluid.

Under the filler for the windscreen reservoir there is a black cap with a red steering wheel design, that’s the steering reservoir cap.

When your fluid is low and you use full lock when turning you normally hear a whining noise.

Chances are that's what's leaking.

One of the forum experts might have a better insight into your problem.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ta - could well be.

The engine oil stays at the same level and I'm getting 52 odd mpg.

No whining from power steering yet, but checked the fluid and it was on minimum. Never checked it before, but this oily liquid must be coming from somewhere.

The haynes says total fluide da - is there an equivalent, easily gettable, I can use to top up until i book int garage?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ta for the replies.

I checked the car this evening - the power steering is still at minimum, the power steering fluid has a distinct whiff - so its not this.

Air con on this afternoon - cold air coming out.

The gear box - isn't that on the other side of the engine to the air con gizmo.

Now starting to get desparate - the pug is heading in the direction of the scrapyard.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got to the bottom of this one.

The sump gasket - just above the air con compressor is leaking. Looks like someone has has a go at sorting it out before.

I'm not going to do anything - just keep an eye of the oil level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts