Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some probs with my air con. Not long got it refilled and and its blowing ambient air on the coolest temp. The compressor clutch and fan are not turning but not sure if this is due to a leak and low pressure. As far as I know there are high and low pressure cut off sensor. I checked the fuses and all seems to be fine.

What are the best steps to trouble shoot. Where is the pressure sensor so I can try and bypass to see if the compressor clutch is working. is it the black connection on the compressor? Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

·
5,867 Posts
If you have planet you can check pressure switch status in parameters. If not see if you can get hold of a pressure gauge, if the gauge is low side only it will till highlight problems in the system as they are linked.

If you have had the system re-gassed get high side pressure checked by them. I had a system that they added to much gas to and the air con worked at night and first thing in the morning but once outside temps rose the over pressure tripped and disabled compressor clutch etc so no air con until temp dropped

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the replys, I forgot to mention that I haven't had the car long and the air con was blowing ambient temp when I bought the car. I didn't notice if the compressor clutch and fan were working before it got re-gassed.
I don't have planet, looking to do it the old fashioned way ha ha. At what temp should the fan kick in when cooling the engine? cheers.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi,

Most likely it needs regassing.

With the air con on at full blast does the radiator fan run?

If not then either the air con isn't being activated or the fan is bust. Most likely the former, but we seem to have been seeing a lot of bust fans recently...

It would be good to get it on planet to find out why the air con is being prevented from running and to check that the fans work. Most likely it is the 'low pressure check that prevents the system from running when there's no gas in it.

For a PP2k session have a look on the map for someone near you. (Link below.) I'm in Edinburgh next week and might be able to fit in a quick session if that's any use.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I took it to KwikFit to see if just regassing it would make it work. It did but only for two months; I think they just cocked it up. Ended up at an independent garage who vacuum tested the system, dyed it, and put in a full charge (IIRC 625g) but took out only 550g. (So if it's not leaking then KF mustn't have put enough in.)

So: find an independent, check they vacuum test, get it dyed, ask how much they took out and put in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had another wee look today in between the deluge of rain here in Glasgow. I checked the schreader valves on the high and low pressure. Not one bit of pressure at all. so a big leak somewhere I assume. When I got it filled around 10 days ago it worked ok for a few days then went back to ambient temps. 610g of gasses were put in according to the receipt.

I checked the voltage going into the compressor and and its around 10.9 volts but I'm guessing that should be correct if it has low/no pressure and the compressor wont be kicking in. Might try and bypass the pressure sensor to see if it turns.

I'm taking it back to the garage I got it regassed as it was meant to be a service and regas, but I dont think any visual checks were done at all pre, intra or post being gassed. They have said it will cost me again to regas, hope that's not the case.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Did they vacuum test it? (They should have.)

This time make sure it's dyed.

We'll then be in the same situation: tested, dyed, working, and waiting for it to fail....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure if they vacuum tested it, I think they didn't judging by how much gas escaped. I tested the fan and it works fine and cuts in when it should when running the engine.

I will see if the compressor works once its pressurized. Hopefully it will as they seem pretty pricey to replace!!

Then tested, dyed and hopefully fixed that doesn't cost too much ha ha.

Cheers for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts