Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, me again!

The air con in my car (2005 307 2.0hdi 136 xsi facelift) doesn't seem to be working. At first I just thought it needed regased but I have recently noticed that when I push the a/c button it comes up on the c/control screen but there is no click or dip in the revs to suggest the a/c pump has kicked in. Any ideas? Is there a fuse or relay I can check?

Cheers in advance,

Stevo

S

·
0 Posts
The compressor clutch wont kick in at all if the gas pressure is too low

Kwik fit will check this for nothing and they also seem to be the cheapest ive found so far for regassing :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that explains it! Thought it was gonna end up being very expensive! Cheers!

S

·
0 Posts
Just hope its gone low due to natural leakage, if its a proper leak it could be tricky

Again kwik fir were good on this, tried regassing and they noticed one of my valves was leaky, let me take it away no charge to repair it myself, £3 fix off ebay :D

5 years old though is probably about right for natural leakage :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. So the fact it was regased by the dealer this time last year roughly would be a bad sign then! Are there any weak spots in the system I should check?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stubbo said:
Just hope its gone low due to natural leakage, if its a proper leak it could be tricky

Again kwik fir were good on this, tried regassing and they noticed one of my valves was leaky, let me take it away no charge to repair it myself, £3 fix off ebay :D

5 years old though is probably about right for natural leakage :thumb:

On any air con unit if it needs regassing it has a leak, there is no such thing as natural leakage. The gas in your car is R134A it it a mixture of gasses, they will 'boil' off at diffrent rates if there is a leak. If the leak is from a nut type joint and it can be tightened up you can top the system up as long as to much gas has not leaked out.

If a garage regasses the system without finding the leak they are breaking the law and can be put in prison.

The laws on refrigerents has got very tight over the past ten years. If a garage does topit up without finding the leak you arebein ripped of as a few months down the line it will need 'topping' up again, you will be forking out money hand over fist.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So you take your car in, aircon not working, garage carries out leak test with a dye and cannot see a leak with a UV light you tell them to just leave it and not to regas it? Seems daft to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did not say that, if your AC gas charge is less that it should be you have a leak that has to be found. You cannot just top it up.
In years past that is what we all did, systems big and small, the acuumilated gas put in to the atmosphere was astronomic.

Look at it another way, i bet they charge £80.00 for the pleasure of 'topping your system up, six months later it needs doing again, who is being done, you are.

Small leaks are hard to find, bigger ones quite easy as was the case on my 306, the pipe leading to the condenser had worn through where the clip held it, gas gone plus a mess of oil from the compressor.

Another thing to consider is refrigerent charges are put in by weight, if a bit leaks out how much do you know how to put back. Yes you can charge to a clear sight glass but it's not as accurate as weighing it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts