Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got this beater 406 Estate 2.1 which is still going strong but seen better days and the air bag light has started coming on. I’m suspecting it’s a wiring issue rather than an actual fault with the air bag because the water contamination warning light was doing the same thing and then it stopped misbehaving. (Yes, I did check the fuel filter the first time but it was fine so I ignored it.) And the fuel and temperature gauges are a bit erratic now and again and give misleading readings.

Here’s the scenario:
- AB light comes on in lamp test mode when turning key to ON
- AB light goes off after engine start and stays off for awhile
- AB light starts flashing regularly then stays on
- After stopping engine for a minute or so the routine starts over again

Anyone seen this and solved it?

Also, the air bags are supposed to be replaced after 10 years, has anyone ever done this? I would imagine with the certification etc. the cost would make the car a write off.

Hermano

·
11,821 Posts
Also, the air bags are supposed to be replaced after 10 years, has anyone ever done this? I would imagine with the certification etc. the cost would make the car a write off.

Hermano
I think that's just manufacturer boilerplate to excuse them from any liability for failures.

Most manufacturers consider the life of a car to be ten years, but many components outlast that time.

As for your airbag issue, get a Planet diagnostic to find which one is playing up, then disconnect and re-solder the wires.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Also check the battery & alternator charging rate.

The airbag system has a protection built in for under & over voltage conditions, its odd the system is happy to pass the self test at start up & only starts flashing after a while of driving.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Favorite fault on old Pugs is the wiring under the front seats that go to the seat belt pre tensioners. While your there have a look under the carpet in the driver`s (RHD) foot well to see if the wiring loom and multi plugs have been contaminated with water.

·
5,034 Posts
Favorite fault on old Pugs is the wiring under the front seats that go to the seat belt pre tensioners. While your there have a look under the carpet in the driver`s (RHD) foot well to see if the wiring loom and multi plugs have been contaminated with water.
Agreed

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved!

Found the problem, the aforementioned connections under the passenger front seat, orange one in this case. Unplugged, it looked fine, bright and shiny. Sprayed in some DeOxit (the BEST electrics cleaner on the planet) plugged it back in and fault gone. Did the driver seat while I was at it. Even cleared up the intermittent and erroneous water in the fuel warning, weird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts