Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AfterMarket HID Kits + install guide

I thought id share some links to pass on my knowledge of hid kits that are currently on the markets.

EBAY:

35w hid kits are only good as they are the cheapest option. this was the first set I bought and was impressed by its great looks and power.

55w hid kits are a little more expensive and they claim to offer more light than the 35w setups. although this sounds like a true fact giving its 20w more output power I decided to test a set my self. at first I tried the 55w kit in on its own and thought I could see a difference. but I then tried a 35w kit and a 55w kit in each light and couldn't really tell the difference only the bulb colours where different . ive seen videos on youtube showing a huge difference but from personal tests I say theres not much difference if any at all. Also the 55w kits come with the same bulbs as the 35w kits just advertised as 55w. this means the bulbs are killing their lifespan by pumping too much power into a lower powered bulb.

100w hid kits are very expensive and the bulbs don't last as long either.
Although this is the kit I have recently bought, I tested them along side a 55w kit and low and behold. finally. a huge difference infact the bulbs where that bright they turned out the street lights at the front of my house.
quite a lot more expensive and the bulbs need changing more often but well worth it if you find yourself driving country roads late at night.
Please be aware I had to send my first item back as the ballast unit was hissing until it finaly went with a pop taking out the bulb and some wires with it. my replacement kit is full working order, however, it looks like my headlight casing is melting........

in my 307 it uses 2 different bulbs for high and low beam.
so my hid kits are installed to the low beam.

my high beam is powered by nothing but the car using osram night breakers.
this is simply because installing a hid kit to high beam would be very costly as flashing your headlights at someone will burn the bulbs out quickly. the bulbs take about 6 seconds to fully charge and glow.

here are links to the ebay kits I have used starting from 35w up to 100w and the night breakers mentioned. These are ebay kits and therefore cheaper in price/cheaper in quality

Links
35w:
HID XENON KIT H1 H3 H4 H7 9004 9005 9006 beam 6000K 8000K 10000K Light Bulbs 35W | eBay

55w:
H7 55w CANBUS EXTREM PASSAT ERROR FREE XENON HID CONVERSION KIT VW B5.5 B6 B7 AC | eBay

100w:
100w SUPER ULTIMA CANBUS ERROR FREE AC BALLAST BULBS HID XENON CONVERSION KIT | eBay

Osram night breakers:
OSRAM NIGHTBREAKER PLUS HEADLIGHT BULBS H1 FITMENT | eBay

Off road/illegaly bright bulbs:
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-Rally-White-100W-pair.html

(Thanks james407)
---------------------------------------------
here are links to proper kits non ebay reps.
I believe these have more power than the ebay kits, ive seen 55w kits from the following site out shine my 100w kits.
400% more light
HID Kits: Xenon Headlight Conversion Kits, HID Conversion Kits
...............................................................................................................................

Colour and temperatures.​
3000k Yellow light (suitable for fog lights)
4300k White light with tinges of yellow.
5000K: PURE WHITE LIGHT. ------- 5k for 55w, 6k for 35w brightest
6000K: White light with tinges of blue
8000K: Distinct blue color light
10000K: Bluish-green light
12000K: Bluish-purplish light. best for show cars or dare devils.

The higher the temp the bluer and darker they become.
For the expensive realhid kits non ebay makes, 4300k is usualy the best/brightest bulb to get

Are they cooler or hotter than halogen?​

HID kits are advertised as being cooler, infact alot cooler.
HOWEVER the other day i decided to test this. in a silly silly way....
i poked a halogen bulb that had been on for a while and it was pretty damn warm.....
i poked my hid bulb that id only just turned on, and i now have a blistered finger. the hid kits are very hot bulbs.

be careful when buying hid bulbs as you can buy 20 bulbs of the same temp from different sellers and they can all be different so the colour charts are only a guide line to real hid kits non ebay.

Final verdict. :
if your stuck for cash the 35w hid kits are ok. these are also good for show cars.

if money is no problem go for 55w hid kits from a real hid kit producer non ebay.
HID Kits: Xenon Headlight Conversion Kits, HID Conversion Kits

5000k for 55w
6000k for 35w
4300k for 35w non ebay make
brightest colours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note the following before purchasing hid kits.
Are Xenon HID kits legal? | PowerBulbs

At the end of the day, retro fitting HID kits unless fitted into a xenon light set are illegal.

Unfortunaly after an hour making a install thread. it wont let me add it to this one. so i will post it as a reply/comment.

INSTALLATION PICTURES PAGE 3-4

·
11,711 Posts
And aren't there reports of 100w bulbs melting the plastics and wiring?

It all depends what kind of ABS plastic is used in construction. Knowing Peugeot it will probably be made by the lowest bidder!

·
Registered
741 Posts
HID puts out less heat than halogen.

Either way, too many horror stories of HID bulbs messing with Peugeot electrics for me to bother making an illegal modification to my car.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are 100w bulbs not also illegal for road use?
Not of my knowledge but I only have the 100w nightbreakers in my high beam so there not killing peoples eyes unless I leave the beams on lol.

And aren't there reports of 100w bulbs melting the plastics and wiring?.
Yes it says that in my post. can be very dangerouse and I have since thought about going back to 35w. I can already see marks on my was perfect headlights.

Either way, too many horror stories of HID bulbs messing with Peugeot electrics for me to bother making an illegal modification to my car.
this ive never heard of but I do know if ive been driving for a while and then switch the lights on all my electronics shut down and reboot. hmmm.
if I where you and you wanted bright lights. stick with night breakers,

:thumb:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not of my knowledge but I only have the 100w nightbreakers in my high beam so there not killing peoples eyes unless I leave the beams on lol.
Nightbreakers are 55W, even the Philips 120% bulbs are 55W.
The Osram 100W bulbs are not road legal.
Check the Specifications tab here: H7 Extreme White 100W (pair)

this ive never heard of but I do know if ive been driving for a while and then switch the lights on all my electronics shut down and reboot. hmmm.
:thumb:
And this on its own isn't enough to ring alarm bells about using them?!

if I where you and you wanted bright lights. stick with night breakers,
I do. Nightbreaker Plus bulbs in both main and dipped beam.:thumb:

·
11,711 Posts
When all cars come with 55w bulbs, it makes you wonder about the mentality and eyesight of someone who feels the need to put 100w in. The roads aren't THAT bad!

But still a good thread, thanks for making it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When all cars come with 55w bulbs, it makes you wonder about the mentality and eyesight of someone who feels the need to put 100w in. The roads aren't THAT bad!

But still a good thread, thanks for making it.
I agree, some people use hid kits for the looks and suffer the consiquences .
but I like how mine look.

and your welcome. ill keep editing it the more I learn.

Nightbreakers are 55W, even the Philips 120% bulbs are 55W.
The Osram 100W bulbs are not road legal.
Check the Specifications tab here: H7 Extreme White 100W (pair)
.:thumb:
my bad 100w is illegal. ill keep reading bout it and update the thread:thumb:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I considered HIDs for about 15 minutes until I read of a few issues. They just aren't worth retro fitting. Unless someone comes up with a big stock of 407 HID headlamps and give me a pair. I think I will stick to my Osram Nightbreakers.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cn tell who the chavs are,
i mean why would you turn yourheadlightson in the day? and no they where not DRL. they where HIDbulbs and he had themon in the day showing off...:confused:
what a bell cheese.

anyway, ive been thinking of installing foglights to the front of my car, buying some real 100w hids and installing them to the fogs, that way no one will be blinded as i dont drive around all day with the lights on.

on the off hand my ps3 has broke fml

·
Registered
741 Posts
anyway, ive been thinking of installing foglights to the front of my car, buying some real 100w hids and installing them to the fogs, that way no one will be blinded as i dont drive around all day with the lights on.
The fog lights will be worse at blinding people, the last thing you should be doing is making them brighter.

C

·
0 Posts
I run a set of 35w 6000k in my 407sw. I find them brighter than normal lights and light up the road signs a treat especially as I drive a lot in the dark ( Thanks 3 shift Rota :mad: ) Also they don't seem to blind anyone as the 407 has projector style lamps :thumb: Wouldn't bother with the Full beam no point really but was pondering whether to put the spare set in the shed to good use in the fog lights :confused:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Astigmatism

Mmm well i like good lights and in my younger days had extra lights fitted and changed tungsten for halogen

Good bit older and i have learned that Astigmatism of the eye at night can be a real issue when driving towards badly adjusted lights.

No wish to spoil fun just offering the fact that a head on smash as some one is unable to see where you are is not much fun

As long as you use in a responsible way why not enjoy :thumb:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
having them in my fogs wont blind people more. as i wont have them on unless im on he road alone.
iv switched back to 55w 6k at the moment and im happy like this but if my electronics trip again. there going in the shed.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
having them in my fogs wont blind people more. as i wont have them on unless im on he road alone.
iv switched back to 55w 6k at the moment and im happy like this but if my electronics trip again. there going in the shed.:thumb:
I must admit can't blind someone if not on, however in foggy conditions I can't see them being much use you would get lots of light reflected back in your own field of vision, so good in clear conditions but worse in fog

Just a thought

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
11,711 Posts
I have to admit I like to use front fogs on country lanes, they seem to highlight the sides of the road much better. But I always turn them off when there's traffic coming. It helps having the control on the stalk.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have to admit I like to use front fogs on country lanes, they seem to highlight the sides of the road much better. But I always turn them off when there's traffic coming. It helps having the control on the stalk.
I do this as well would consider a better bulb if it would still be ok in the fog also looks a long job getting the fog bulb in ?

Allan

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 166 Posts