1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

307 1.4 HDI
Mileage: over 100K

The past couple of days the top end of the engine started to make a rattle sound at idle, low revs and also at high speeds at 70mph.

Ive took the car round to an independent garage and they've advised me that it is definitely coming from the top end but we cannot tell you what has exactly worn without stripping the engine. The garage recommended me to try Forte Top End treatment first.

Ive tried the Forte Treatment and yes after about 40 miles the noise had totally vanished however sadly it has re appeared again after approx 400 miles. Took the car to the garage again and he had ruled out the camshaft and had said that it is more likely going to be the Hydraulic Tappets that are not holding oil and would require replacing.

Just to save on expensive repairs is it worth flushing the engine with Forte Flush and see how it goes. Is it recommended to flush high mileage engines ?

Any tips and advise would be extremely grateful

Thanks

Adam :confused:

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
has normal service intervals been met. if so flushs shouldnt be needed

does sound like gummed up but really it needs stripping and cleaning properly if thats the case.

do you know what oil its running maybe too heavy

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
has normal service intervals been met. if so flushs shouldnt be needed

does sound like gummed up but really it needs stripping and cleaning properly if thats the case.

do you know what oil its running maybe too heavy
Thanks for your reply Monty, Much appreciated.

In my ownership the car has always been serviced whenever the service light appeared on the dash approx 12.5k however for the last 2 years or so it has been serviced at 6k or one year which ever had came first.

Castrol Magnatec 10/40 Part Synthetic is the oil that i have been using. I have always used genuine peugeot filters. The lad that works in the parts dept at peugeot had mentioned that this car can be run on 5/40 fully syn or 10/40 semi syn. I had chose 10/40 because it was cheaper and most importantly decided to use the thicker grade oil to compensate for any wear.

I'm thinking to remove and clean the sump pan and replace the oil strainer/pickup pipe & also do an Engine flush.

Has anyone ever replaced a Sump pan on a 1.4 HDi if so how hard is it to tackle this job? Would be extremely grateful if anyone could offer any tips and advise.

Many Thanks

Adam :)

·
5,631 Posts
Wrong oil 1.4/1.6 HDI should be 5/30 fully syth low SAPS as that is Peugeot recommendation and these engine are critical on good oil

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
i dont think the 1.4 suffers like the 1.6 it has alot of similarity but ive never heard of any turbo issues

if theres a real concern might be worth whipping off the rocker cover

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys for your replies.

Around 2/3 years ago i had the injectors replaced with recon unit. The garage had to also remove the rocker cover to gain complete access. Was told then that there was NO obvious sign of sludge buildup and everything looked fine.

Has anyone ever removed the sump pan and replaced the oil pickup pipe on these cars, 307 1.4 hdi ?

Would really appreciate some tips and advise.

Thanks

Adam :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wrong oil 1.4/1.6 HDI should be 5/30 fully syth low SAPS as that is Peugeot recommendation and these engine are critical on good oil
I take you mean if vehicles are fitted with those blasted DPFs. Low ash spec engine oils are needed for these engines but a dealer has told me I can use 10W40 oil for my 1.4HDI with no DPF fitted. For me the higher the mileage (ie over 200K plus) the thicker oil and higher temperature range oil you should use. Please correct me if i'am wrong as i'am very old school. :D

·
5,631 Posts
Engine was designed for 5/30 so you can have issues with lifters pumping up, if wrong grade oil. However due to your millage and the dealer saying 10/40 is fine this should not be a problem. Have you checked rockers they can wear at high mileages and give a tappet type noise.

If you know anyone who goes to Costco they do 0/40 Turbo Diesel Mobil 1. (I use this in my 2.0 HDI with 220K on the clock) you get the best of both oils thin oil for quick circulation when cold and thicker at higher temps to help with oil control so worth a try.

I have used Mobil 1 in mine from about 80K onwards (when I got car) and it still uses no oil between 12K intervals even with 220K on the clock.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

Update:

Bought new pick up pipe. Took the sump pan off but unfortunately i was wrong, there was NO traces of any Sludge buildup in the sump pan or the pickup pipe.

So really gutted. Took me approx 3hrs to take sump off and reinstall.

Adam :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts