Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking at buying a 407 saloon and am torn between two. They are both the 2.0HDi, one (a '57' SE) is a manual with 87K on the clock and the other (a '55' X-Line) is an auto with 83k. They're both a very similar price. I have a 40-mile round trip commute every day and I go up to the Highlands at least once a year. So, which one is the best bet? Oh, and somewhat randomly, does the 407 saloon have a power outlet in the boot?

Thanks in advance!

Rob.

·
Super Moderator
1,774 Posts
I'd be tempted by the x-line as it doesn't have a DPF fitted. Having said that you are definitely doing the mileage where it shouldn't matter so much.

·
5,043 Posts
hi there, I would go with the manual as although the clutch is an expensive fix so is the auto box when it goes wrong. Saloons dont have a power supply in the boot but the SW does.

·
5,043 Posts
Also the 57 should have bluetooth but the 55 wont, 57 will have newr rd4 display that shouldnt fade and revised balljoints??

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'd have the 57 plate because:
* I don't like slushmatics,
* if it has navigation then it'll be the better RT4 system and if it doesn't then it'll have bluteooth
* redesigned suspension leg that doesn't channel water into bottom swivel joint
* redesigned power steering pipe
* 40 mile round trip should keep the DPF happy (I was doing 20 mile round trip and that was barely enough).

However, it will at some point need a flywheel at a cost of about £800.
When it's starting to go you may hear an aperiodic rattle at idle, or a rattle when you blip the throttle, or a bang or rattle when taking up drive.

On the other hand:
* ball joints are about £50 for original ones or £12 for eBay cheapos and aren't hard to change. (That said, I've failed once and anticipate failing again later this week. I've had 2 to do in 5 years of ownership.)
* the power steering seems to behave once you've got it to settle down.
* there's no reason to fear the slushmatic but it is critical to change the oil. "Sealed for life" is a vicious lie. This should be the first thing you do.
* no DFP on the X-Line.

If they have sat nav then the 57-plate will have the maps on the internal hard drive whereas the 55 will have them on a CD that must be kept in the unit. You can store MP3s on the hard drive on the 57-plate and can add USB. In both cases maps are available for 2017 (I don't know about 2018, there is a rumour that updates are ending.)

Other possibilities:
* heated seats are good on cold early mornings as it takes ages to get warm air out of the cabin heater on a diesel.

* check that you get both hot and cold air out of the vents at each side. Check all 4 combinations.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Other possibilities:
* heated seats are good on cold early mornings as it takes ages to get warm air out of the cabin heater on a diesel.
407's have pretty decent electric heaters... I get almost instant warm air out of the vents, even if the car is cold!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts