Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all.

I bought my used 307 from a dealer in January this year. The three month warranty on 'parts' expires on 28th of April. ... Yesterday the car refused to start, turned over but no start. ... I had wipers starting as soon as ignition was turned on, side lights coming on by themselves even with the ignition turned off, and a flashing dashboard display panel (where the travel computer and clock stuff is).

AA came out and believe its the ? 'body control unit' ? .... is this the same as an ECU??

I've had it taken back to the dealer for repair....predictably he's said the "parts warranty doesn't cover 'electrics'...".

My thought are... firstly should the ECU be expected to last longer than three months? (I'm thinking 'fit-for-purpose' here) The car has only done 48K miles..... and secondly, as the component that has apparently buggered up controls the engine and so many systems... should it be considered a 'part' if it needs replacing?

I had changed the factory radio for an aftersales DAB radio, but that was last month and there's been no problems from that at all. Though the dealer tried to suggest doing this "...can cause problems..."

Ideas welcome on how to approach this with the dealer. Is he trying to avoid honouring his 'parts' warranty, or is an ecu not included in the three month guarantee?

Many thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
An ECU should last the life of car, afterall its the computer that controls everything...obviously you get the few that dont and mess up and cost mega bucks to fix.

read and understand your warranty paperwork in the terms and cons on what is covered, even mine with the AA states ECU/BSI but only up to £500 still another £700 to add to buy a brand new...not to mention the labour of programming.

make sure it is the ecu/bsi and just dig out for a diagnostic at your dealers. if it is the ecu he shouldnt be able to connect and if he does he will get random crap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John.

An ECU should last the life of car, afterall its the computer that controls everything...obviously you get the few that dont and mess up and cost mega bucks to fix.

read and understand your warranty paperwork in the terms and cons on what is covered, even mine with the AA states ECU/BSI but only up to £500 still another £700 to add to buy a brand new...not to mention the labour of programming.

make sure it is the ecu/bsi and just dig out for a diagnostic at your dealers. if it is the ecu he shouldnt be able to connect and if he does he will get random crap.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
Your 3 month warranty covers everything except wear and tear. They'll have to sort it. Take no rubbish for an answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. Tis done.... apparently something short circuited and sent the system crazy. All up and running now. :D

Have a great weekend everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts