Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

A quick question: Would it benefit my 75,000 mile 2004 1.6 Petrol XSi to have the fuel injectors cleaned (professionally)? Has anyone done this and have had a noticeable difference?

I do have a minute hesitation when starting from full stop and for the past couple of years my fuel consumption seems a bit higher than usual.

·
11,780 Posts
I can't speak for petrol but having my diesel ones cleaned made a massive difference.

I could barely get 450 miles out of a tank of diesel on my 2L 307, even with thorough servicing. I'd had two identical models before and they'd always get 550+ miles out of a tank.

Once i'd had the injectors cleaned, bang - instant 560 miles out of the first full tank of fuel.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Nice result but why, I wonder, didn't you get some sort of warning regards anti-pollution etc if it was using more. Surely the system would detect more fuel being used, some of it not burning due poor atomisation, and the fact that the mixture was richer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the help, I've arranged to take it to the local dealership this coming week to have them cleaned. Actually the head mechanic told me it was standard company policy to inform clients that the injectors need cleaning every 50,000 klm, but due to the crisis here in Greece very few cars get serviced.

BTW, the dealership's quote was €80 (roughly 70 GBP), that sounds reasonable considering the work involved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is what the lambda system does in a way is it not?
Can't say that I know!

I didn't ask the dealership if the injectors are removed, but an independent fuel systems shop I called said that they remove the injectors and use ultrasonic cleaning -- their quote was slightly higher than the dealership (around 5-10 GBP more).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts