Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. Newbie female here. Please can you help with a step by step guide to changing the oil filter and oil on a 2004 1.4 petrol 307 model.

The oil change itself I'm fairly confident of, its really more a question on the oil filter removal and replacement. Starting from 'Where is it?' to 'How much to tighten it up?'

Any advice gladly received - want to prove to my husband it's not that difficult, so much so that even a woman can do it! :thumb:

·
Registered
320 Posts
ok...this is a fairly simple thing to do...even for a novice...lol
1. warm the engine slightly to allow the old oil to drain freely.
2. open up the bonnet and remove the oil filler cap.
3. climb under the car with a oil pan and remove the drain plug from the sump,allowing the oil to drain,when this has finished draining wipe the area around the sump plug and replace the sump plug using a new washer.
4. move the oil pan toward the front of the engine block and remove the filter, this is a coloured cylinder,kind of like a bean can with maybe a slightly rounded top.just undo it slowly until the oil starts to drain from it,wait until this has finished draining then remove it completely,being careful as when it finally comes off there will still be a fair amount of oil inside, so be ready to turn it the right way up so you don't get oil everywhere.
5. once you have the filter off wipe the area with a clean rag,then take a small amount of your new oil and lubricate the rubber oil seal on the new filter and screw it back onto the car.Tighten the filter firmly by hand,no tools are needed for this,maybe just your husband to pinch it up.
6. refill using your new oil being careful not too over fill,so in between topping up let the oil run down into your engine and check the level on your dipstick,finally replace your oil cap,start your engine,let it run for a few moments,allowing the new oil to circulate then turn it off,give it a few moments to settle then recheck the level on your dipstick.recheck the area around the sump plug and filter for leaks and your done. oh and try doing this on fairly level ground.
hope this helps
Matt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. The only problem is I can't be sure which is the filter:bang:

The thing that looks like it should be the filter has a plastic domed top with a plastic nut moulded to it about 1 inch in size. Is this it? if so do I put a spanner on this nut and unscrew. This plastic domed top is visible at the front of the engine, slightly to the right, just behind the radiator and the nut is at the top.

I haven't got the replacement filter yet, that would probably help to know what the replacement consists of. Just wanted to make sure I would know what to do first, if you see what I mean. By the way the handbook I have states a 'cartridge' not a filter which is confusing me, is this different?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
yeah thats the deal, when you turn the nut, the whole domed thing will turn and come with it, as it is one unit. when you buy a replacement it should all come as a oner...(did for me at halfords) came with new filter, rubber ring seals and i am sure one other part, but cant remember...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I've now got the confidence to give it a go. One final question if I may, what oil would you recommend?

·
Registered
93 Posts
matt268uk said:
ok...this is a fairly simple thing to do...even for a novice...lol
1. warm the engine slightly to allow the old oil to drain freely.
2. open up the bonnet and remove the oil filler cap.
3. climb under the car with a oil pan and remove the drain plug from the sump,allowing the oil to drain,when this has finished draining wipe the area around the sump plug and replace the sump plug using a new washer.
4. move the oil pan toward the front of the engine block and remove the filter, this is a coloured cylinder,kind of like a bean can with maybe a slightly rounded top.just undo it slowly until the oil starts to drain from it,wait until this has finished draining then remove it completely,being careful as when it finally comes off there will still be a fair amount of oil inside, so be ready to turn it the right way up so you don't get oil everywhere.
5. once you have the filter off wipe the area with a clean rag,then take a small amount of your new oil and lubricate the rubber oil seal on the new filter and screw it back onto the car.Tighten the filter firmly by hand,no tools are needed for this,maybe just your husband to pinch it up.
6. refill using your new oil being careful not too over fill,so in between topping up let the oil run down into your engine and check the level on your dipstick,finally replace your oil cap,start your engine,let it run for a few moments,allowing the new oil to circulate then turn it off,give it a few moments to settle then recheck the level on your dipstick.recheck the area around the sump plug and filter for leaks and your done. oh and try doing this on fairly level ground.
hope this helps
Matt.
Just to add to this excellent description, make sure that you have a big enough container to hold all the oil in one go. You'll understand once you have done the job, but once you start the oil flowing out, you won't want to stop it, it goes everywhere. Also ensure the container has a very wide opening, or get a funnell, but don't forget you will have very little clearance unless you raise the car somehow. If you do raise the car on jacks or whatever, ensure it is properley supported by axle stands or similar before you get underneath. When you undo the drain nut, make sure your not lying in the way of the flow of oil. If the nut is downward facing, you're generally ok, but if it points out to the side, the oil will squirt out quite far, so be ready for it! And a final tip is to buy a box of cheap latex gloves (about £5) as this kindof job gets very messy and its so much easier just to take off the gloves when done than scrub your hands with jif!
Enjoy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Just to update - I've done it :wave:

Everything went to plan except the local Peugeot dealer had mistakenly sold me the wrong sump plug washer so had to get the neighbour to take me back to the garage to replace (if I'm being really honest, the neighbour actually helped me undo the nut on the oil filter which was a little too tight for me).

Another thing to maybe mention, the local Peugeot dealership is selling the oil filters on Ebay at £8.00 including vat and p&p but yet when I rung through to parts for a price as I didn't want to wait for the item being posted, I was quoted £11.93 + Vat. Robbing Barstewards!!

Thanks again:thumb:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
good to hear it, i bet on fleabay the postage on the item will make up for the discount ;). i think ill stick with unipart, andrew page and even halfords...get parts etc for trade prices far cheaper than peugeot :p and just as good quality

1 - 9 of 9 Posts