Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Before xmas my van was making a load noise which sounded like a load of crickets chirping I took it to our local garage to look at. They have done work for us before and have been pleased with what they did after our last garage was found out not to be doing half the stuff they said they did. Hence I'm a bit cautious.

They said the noise was from the 'multi belts' which there were 2 of and replaced at a cost of £160 inc a repair to a light on the back. The van seemed fine for a few days then started making a rubbing/rumbling noise from the same area I didnt have time to get back to the garage straight away so left it for a week. The mechanic said the belts looked fine and it was because they are self tensioning and needed time to wear in/stretch and not to worry unless the noise got louder.

About 3 weeks passed and I contacted them again and the booked it in to have a proper look as the noise was getting worse. I got a phone call later and was told the van was fixed it was the crankshaft pulley, without being quoted a price and was told they would work the price out later when the boss was back. I get a phone call later to say the pulley had been changed and the 2 belts again as they were [email protected]@ked at a cost of £320

I'm not so bothered about the money, I was more glad to get it back and carry on using it for work but I cant help feeling I've had my pants pulled down. I didnt see any of the replacement parts but the engine does sound new. It all sounds a bit much for a couple of belts and they told me they had to change them as they can only be used once as they are self tensioning belts??

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
15,120 Posts
The pulley may well have failed due to the extra tension of the fresh belts so their initial diagnosis may well have been accurate and it looked fine at that point i have seen this before where you replace belts/tensioner only to find the pulley then gives up the ghost.

Or the pulley was feked at the initial fitting of the new belts and they never noticed but to be honest thats unlikely as if it was bad they would have noticed during fitting the new belts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ever so much for your reply. It does make sense as its 12 years old perhaps just one of those things. What got me questioning it was they said the belts are 'stretchable' and had to be warned to put them on hence they couldn't be used again. From what I understand there is a tensioner pulley usually?

Many thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts